'"> ');

Author Topic: Minor issues with new build home  (Read 25664 times)

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

cmcc147

Re: Minor issues with new build home
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 10:10:16 am »
Thanks very much for the above links, I have had a good read through them and this will be helpful when I next broach the subject with the developer.  The other half is more of the view that she can live with the noise but this is mainly because she doesn't want the living room ceilings to be pulled down.

Below is a few photographs of things I am wanting to clarify if they may or may not be warranty issues and I hope you can help with this.
1) Woodburning stove included in the purchase of the property.  It appears to be missing foam/insulation in the gaps where the backing has been fitted.  Is this something I should be expected to make good myself?

2)The below shows pictures of the paved area in the back garden. Is the quality of the paving and the blocks that border the lawn area of an acceptable standard? The colour of the concrete slabs are not uniform and despite a pressure wash with what was a fairly weak detergent, the 'staining' on the slabs remains the same.  Again I am unsure if this is something I would be being fussy over or whether it should be rectified. I couldn't find any info on the forum nor under NHBC guidelines
https://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/Beefy-Stilo/Screenshot_20190605-085202_Gallery_zps2lx8yawo.jpg[/img][/URL]

3)This isn't so much a current issue but one that has been rectified somewhat we hope.  We had issues with tiles cracking in the main upstairs bathroom and the master ensuite. These have been pictured below as well as the flooring that is below the tiles. (Left that way overnight before tiler returned the following day) The developer put this down to the wrong grout or adhesive being used as it wasn't flexible. What I found interesting was that the shape of the cracks in the tiles was consistent with the joins in the flooring. Particularly noticeable in the T Shaped crack in the ensuite.
https://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/Beefy-Stilo/Screenshot_20190605-082939_Gallery_zpswrf4zchy.jpg[/img][/URL]

Given that this is the only photo I have of the flooring in the bathrooms, can you tell if they are the correct spec by looking at them?  The tiles have been fine since being replaced approx 4/5 months ago.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 09:25:31 am »
1) The ceiling part of the woodburner is not finished at all.  There are gaps at the corners which shouldn't be there. not sure what this is or what if done properly it would look like but seen enough to know it isn't right and not acceptable.

2) Paving isn't that bad. The staining is probably cement so could be cleaned off with brick acid cleaner. (NB this will kill the grass at the edge during rinsing)

3)Unless they covered the chipboard with a special plywood (which I doubt0 the ceramic tiles will crack again.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

cmcc147

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 10:14:45 am »
Thank you New Home Expert.

I will ask the developer to speak to the company who installed the wood burner and fire surround and ask to have it finished correctly.  It looks like it has been measured incorrectly. Particularly as it is noticeable from a seated position. Looking at pictures from their website online, ours is of a lesser quality than similar installs.

Is it a case that these floors HAVE to be covered with this plywood or should be? This may sound daft but is it possible this would be on the underside of the chipboard?  I know for a fact that the tiler only relayed the cracked tiles so there has been no plywood installed retrospectively. Just trying to gather the information before I ask him to rectify this if he has in fact cut corners on these bathroom floors.

Regarding the paving, someone had previously mentioned it may be a combination of efflorescence and some cement.  In this case i'm happy enough to sort this myself over the coming months.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 12:29:10 pm »
The plywood should be on top of the chipboard, with tiles glued to the plywood.

cmcc147

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 05:59:26 am »
I had spoken to NHBC on Friday off the record just requesting information on the subject before I broach the subject with the developer.  The girl I spoke to advised that it is only a recommendation to use the plywood and it doesn't need to be used and if they aren't currently cracked then there is no issue. 

She did mention that if the problem has been sorted by the builder withing the two year period (like both my bathrooms have) then the builder has an ongoing liability to repair them if the cracks reappear. (even 3/4 years down the line or they step in)  She said that this is provided I have evidence that the builder has been notified and carried out the works.  I told her my only communication on the subject was reporting through text message and photos and she said that time stamped text messages are perfectly acceptable.  Is this correct?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 08:52:29 am »
First of all plywood below ceramic tiles on a timber chipboard floor is standard best practice.
True the NHBC may only recommend it and most of their standards are deemed by the NHBC top be "guidance" on how to comply with the  Technical Requirements.

It is true, that if a housebuilder carries out remedial works that subsequently fail after the 2-yaer period, they are still on the hook for responsibility to repair. In most cases it is the warranty provider that will (or has to step in).

I always advise that every communication with housebuilders be IN WRITING. This includes e mails.
I am not sure about texts. They will need to be copied to a PC and/or on paper. It may be possible to later allege that the date has been altered.  In any event, I doubt many would still have a text on their phones after 3 or 4 years or even that phone!

cmcc147

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 09:23:29 am »
Over the last day or two I carried out a test (recording room below while I walk upstairs) to see how much of an issue our flooring is and have come to the decision is isn't something I can live with.  The creaking floors runs not just from the master bedroom but also in to the landing and stairs (although not as bad)  The crackling/cracking ceilings on the ground floor are apparent in the lounge (below master) and  transferring to the kitchen which I was unaware of before yesterday (no creaking from above in 2nd bedroom)

I am wondering what the best way to put the solution to the builder would be when he comes back with the inevitable "there is nothing more I can do"  I have read the acoustics study but am having trouble understanding what needs done in laymens terms to rectify the issue.  I will send him a copy of the study as well although the builder probably has come across and rectified such issues before.

Ceilings down
Create a gap between the ceiling boards and the wall (saw??)
Remove the adhesive dabs between the wall lining and the floor above the joists??

Would I be right in thinking that the above works if correct would be a solution to both the crackling ceilings and creaking floors above due to coming from the same source?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 10:08:32 am »
You are correct.
http://www.gpda.com/uploads/Joint_statement_on_cracking_sounds_from_ceilings.pdf

In addition -  This needs checking:
The span of the joists and depth of the joists.
That the manufacturer's details for joist have been followed.
That the flooring is properly fixed down with screws.
There is no pipework which might be making sounds.

cmcc147

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 10:35:09 am »
That's great thank you, I just want to have as much information to hand as possible so I'm not fobbed off as it needs sorted. 

Would the creaking in the stairs be slightly different to resolve or again from underneath? This really isn't as noisy in terms of creaking and theres no crackling from underneath. 

With a view to crossing T's and dotting I's the only other 'issue' of concern for me would be the fact that the ceramic tiles appear to have been laid on chipboard only and not marine plywood layer in between. (As seen in photos earlier in the thread) If I raise this with the builder, is it likely he can say that they are fit for purpose as they are currently due to the fact that they aren't currently cracked and it appears to be only 'standard best practice' to use the marine ply.

Maxell

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 10:52:50 am »
Some noise from floors is acceptable however how much is subjective.
Pull back the carpets you should see the  line of the joists from fixings, put your weight on and off the joists, you should identify the problem areas. The type of noise will help identify,  high pitched = metal, wood on wood, clunking etc.
You may need to cut a hole in floor to inspect, joists  sizes, hangers, straps, studwork, pockets or boards flying over joists, you can also feel any dabs from room below.

There is no single solution your contractor should try and work in a logical progression looking at the simplest and least invasive methods.

Your tiles should have a ply subfloor or an islolator membrane.

cmcc147

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 11:52:05 am »
I will update with proposed solution when I get speaking to him. 

Looking at the photo attached I am guessing I do not have the ply subfloor and isolator membrane?  The picture is of a tile that has been replaced in the past due to cracking. 

cmcc147

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 02:49:43 pm »
Would it be completely unheard of to have our home snagged now? (8 months left of builders warranty)  This would be with the view to saying to the builder, here is what should be a final definitive list of issues with our home and ask them to be sorted.

I do understand that some things could be disputed saying they have been caused by the occupants but on the other hand it may identify things we haven't picked up on that may not be of a high enough standard.

Maxell

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2019, 05:18:06 pm »
Yes you can have your home snagged anytime within your 2 year period. I would go wth the one recommend on here. They are not all the same.

cmcc147

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 09:44:13 am »
Are 'nail pops' in plasterboard ceilings generally something you would be expected to make good yourself? I have these in various rooms throughout the house some barely noticable and others which which would be larger with the plaster completely popped.