'"> ');

Author Topic: Downstair WC - strange issue  (Read 2800 times)

Callum_62

Downstair WC - strange issue
« on: November 14, 2022, 10:23:26 pm »
We have been in our house for 2 1/2 years now and finally getting to near enough all snags done.
Now, we have an issue (or possible issue) I know the builder is trying to fob us of on.
They have placed our sink and WC the wrong way around in our downstairs toilet.

No biggie was my initial thought but it drives my wife mad and it raises a more potential serious issue when I thought about it. Basically, they have fitted the WC along the same wall as the door and the sink on the bigger wall that backs on the garage.

For me and my wife it doesn't cause any practical usage issues really but it means from a decoration point of view we can't put a toilet roll holder on the wall next to the WC - annoying, but as I said no biggie right?

I mentored it to Miller Homes and they basically said too big a job and sort of fobbed me off

Their attitude got my back up a bit and it made me think.... Knock on wood - what if I ended up in a wheelchair or we came to sell to someone in a wheelchair.

Would the placement of the WC cause any issue in regards to this?

The wall the toilet sits against is 700mm from the back wall to the start of the door frame - making it nearly impossible to put a grab bar there.

Am. I fighting a useless battle here or is there merit in my concerns?

Callum_62

Re: Downstair WC - strange issue
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:24:29 pm »
Sorry, pic attached

Callum_62

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 08:04:05 am »
I can't see how to edit post but here's the overall wc pic
Thanks!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 07:10:32 am »
Your photos appear to contradict your description.
The photos would appear to comply with disabled access required in part M of the building regulations.

But if you bought the property on the basis the configuration was different to what you now have, ie shown in the brochure or show home working drawings shown to you all before reservation, you can claim you were misinformed which is against consumer law.

As for whether it is a big job or not, it is wrong.  I can understand that perhaps the floor will need to be taken up and drainage re positioned to change the configuration. That said, perhaps Miller would offer you a settlement amount to accept it as it is, saving them the cost of the work and administration headache and you the mess and inconvenience.
Perhaps £1,000 - £2,000 would be enough?
http://www.brand-newhomes.co.uk/makeadonation.htm
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Callum_62

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:11:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes - the floor plan and service drawings both show the toilet in the position the sink is on

I think access for wheelchair at the moment is fine - although I'm not sure how we could have used the grab rail on the wall beside the toilet as it would be pretty much behind you when sitting.

I believe Miller also use short projection toilets so any changes might add a few cms onto the depth of the toilet taking it very close to the door opening.

I raised it again with them last week and was basically told its too hard /big a job to do and it's just tough it's wrong

Service plans attached