'"> ');

Author Topic: Restricted to BT  (Read 8221 times)

JustMe

Restricted to BT
« on: November 26, 2021, 10:50:58 am »
We are in the process of buying a new-build house.
We understand that OpenReach have installed fibre to the premises (FTTP). Good!
But we are also told that 'as OpenReach is part of BT' (I thought they had been separated) we would have to use BT as ISP and landline for the first 2 years.  Is this true?
Can they insist as it sounds like a 'restraint of trade issue' if they are now separate companies.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Restricted to BT
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 12:01:51 pm »
I am not sure if it is true, but in my experience BT offers a good fixed term deal if you negotiate with them.
I've found over many years BT to be very fair and keen to keep me as a customer.

Feel free to shop around, but I expect you are on a 2-year fixed term deal and your housebuilder is getting a kickback.
Openreach Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BT Group.
As a BT company installed FTTP, then it would seem a bit rich to then allow other companies to profit from their infrastructure investment in my opinion.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

JustMe

Re: Restricted to BT
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 01:45:06 pm »
Thanks for this, and all true, but as OpenReach publicly state that "OpenReach treats all Communication Providers (CPs) equally", and all CPs including BT rent the OpenReach network. Our solicitor challenged the comment and the developer climbed down and agreed that access is available to all CPs.  That of course depends on OpenReach making it available, but in theory.....