'"> ');

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 8522 times)

monkeyman

Hello
« on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:12 pm »
Hello there.

We moved into a new-build 3 bed house last February - constructed by a smallish developer (RAA Developments).

Various snagging matters on moving in were highlighted and some shortly after (tiles in bathroom becoming uneven, raised, grouting coming away).

More seriously, the electrics are illegal despite an NIC certificate. An independent electrician brought round by the construction director said that the wires in the kitchen were too thin and would, in time, melt. It was then discovered that most of the wiring in the house is incorrect.

The carpet has no underlay (admittedly I should have spotted this prior to moving in) and the developers agreed to pay half the cost of new carpets which was agreed. However, the original carpets gave been stuck down with F44 industrial strength glue.

The developers were going to sort all the above matters out until I received an email saying could they pay me £5,000  to get everything done myself.

What would people do?   

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:35:06 am »
The developers sound a right bunch of cowboys!

For a starts, £5,000 wouldn't cover the cost of re wiring your home and repairing and re decoration of walls and ceilings.

It seems pretty clear that they wouldn't have NHBC warranty either so using the warranty route would be difficult too.

It is precisely things like this why new home buyers need an independent  New Homes Ombudsman.
There is an 8-week consultation on this so please complete the questionnaire and give you views.
Click this link: 
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/strengthening-consumer-redress-in-housing

Until a New Homes Ombudsman exists, your only course of action is either accept the £5,000 or take the builder to court.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.