Getting started > Welcome - Member Introductions

Hello.

(1/1)

SuslifeP:
Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum as an expert in this field. I have been carrying out surveys using thermal imaging, etc, to produce evidence against builders and identify building non compliance on new builds.
The story I often here from new home owners is that they get fobbed off by the builders and any remedial works seem to be quick fixes that do not really achieve much and very often the homeowner just gives up and accepts that nothing is really going be done to remediate.

We are having some success on the first building I have been involved with, the evidence I produced was seen as conclusive and damning and left nothing to argue about and was accepted by both the NHBC and the builder. We have since had two resolution meetings, the most recent with one of the top directors representing the house builders and they came across as very concerned with what our next move might be and very keen to resolve the issue as soon as possible. We await their next offer!

I have built up a small team of experts in the field and can argue through any excuses the builder may throw at us and so far we do seem to be gaining some ground against them.

If we can help you please get in touch.
Paul.

anthyboy:
Paul welcome,

Ref thermal Imaging technology, I can see the benefits for establishing where heat loss is coming from and even to a point identifying suspected moisture.

What I'm not sure about if the house builder doesn't fix defects he can see and won't sort, then I can't see them rushing to fix faults he can't see!

You say you have had success with resolution meetings, please expand on how NHBC have used your evidence and how this evidence fits in with how NHBC judges if it falls outside their guidance or not

On this site we like to name house builders you are talking about, it would be useful to know which top directors your technology has brought to the table (given prime time TV programmes have not).

I would imagine this equipment is expensive as well as keeping competent people trained on them, out of curiosity what is the going rate for a Thermal Imagine Inspection?

I can see some use of this technology in older buildings with little or no home insulation to establish where exactly heat loss is coming from (suspect mainly from Windows, roof , wall cavities).

I need some convincing that this type of inspection is required as standard, but I will keep an open mind.

New Home Expert:
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Whilst we do like to name a shame housebuilders on this forum, I understand this is an ongoing case that may turn into  potential legal case, possibly even a class action against a big plc house builder.
In such cases it is unwise to reveal anything that may jeopardise the outcome for your clients.

If a Thermal Image survey was required as standard in every new home to comply with Building Regulations, then no new home would have missing insulation, such as those Taylor Wimpey and Bovis homes featured on the C4 Dispatches "Britain's Nightmare New Homes'" programme in November 2015.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version