'"> ');

Author Topic: New house blues  (Read 15193 times)

Yido12

New house blues
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:11:16 am »
Just coming up to two years in our new house and our central heating has a leak as we have to repressure the system every day.  Would this be covered under our two year warranty and if leak is under the concrete floors will they cover all the costs of the work to find the leak?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: New house blues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:42 am »
A leak to the central heating is a defect and should be fixed by the housebuilder within the first two years of the warranty.

My guess is the builder (who is? by the way!) will try and dodge this and then say the warranty liability is now over.

If you can get the builder to fix the leak under the warranty, it should be at no cost to you.
It is vital to report this to the house builder IN WRITING before the tow years expires.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Yido12

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »
Apparently it is now to do with the Water Cylinder.  I did have a service done after the first year but while I thought that service included the cylinder the manufacturer has said it would just be a visual check so the warranty has become null.  Not sure where to take this now. 

Admin

• Administrator
    • Brand New Homes
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:56:49 am »
If the cylinder is leaking you should have signs of a water leak on ceilings floors etc.
It maybe worth checking yourself.
As for the cylinder, "servicing" I have heard this cop out before, mainly regarding Barratt's old five year warranty, often not worth the paper its presumably written on.
Quite how a cylinder, with no moving parts, can be serviced I don't know! 
It can only be visually checked and the water topped up. 
I would assume that adding corrosion inhibitor such as Fernox who be part of a boiler service.
So a "service" of a water cylinder would not have prevented it leaking now.

All you can do is make this very public online naming the builder, warranty provider and cylinder Manufacturer.
Here is a great forum for consumer advice.
BRAND NEW HOMES
Providing information for the UK new home buyer.