'"> ');

Author Topic: Having to move out for remedial works  (Read 17322 times)

Mathew64

Having to move out for remedial works
« on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:40 pm »
I'm looking for information that people may have regarding having to move out of our Taylor Wimpey  home for 2 weeks whilst having a micro cracking issued fixed in our celings.
Does anyone know how much per night they pay for our accommodation?
We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children.
Should we also ask for personal compensation for the hassle of moving for 2 weeks ?
Thanks Matt

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Having to move out for remedial works
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:16:09 am »
As far as I know (from others) the going rate is £80 per person per night.
Some people use the money to pay for a holiday!
Taylor Wimpey should pay all removal and storage costs, evening meals (if you are in a hotel) and any pet boarding and additional travelling costs.  I advise you to take meter readings of Gas water and electric too as Taylor Wimpey will leave lights and heating on.

Take photos of your contents as a record of their condition. Be aware Taylor Wimpey also often change the locks so you can't go in poking about and see how bad your house really is!

Be aware that Taylor Wimpey won't have a clue what is causing the cracking noises. It's not the ceiling!
Read this research on the issue: The last post
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Mathew64

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:37:06 pm »
Thanks for the response.
Yes they said they would cover moving cost etc but I don't want to move out and go through all the hassle for nothing ideally make a little bit to go away with. It's not Taylor Wimpey carrying out the work it's a contractor they have employed.
They said they were basically going to put a dampening bar along the joists to solve this micro cracking. Should this work? Apparently there are a number of houses on our estate with this problem also.

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:31:32 am »
The bars are called "Resilient Bars"  As you can see from the research in the link I gave you, this probably wont solve the problem. University research has found it is caused by the wall drylining touching the underside of the floor structure,  ie the floor joists. There needs to be a gap.

Whilst Taylor Wimpey are employing a contractor to do the work, it is Taylor Wimpey that are instructing them.

Finally, it seems quite rightly, you are after compensation. You may or may not get this.
You can hope for up to £2,000, but unless an independent New Homes Ombudsman is appointed by government, something I have been campaigning for, 4 years now, compensation will be a battle. Write to your MP tell him/her of your new home woes and ask that he/she writes on your behalf to housing Minsters Alok Sharma and/or DCLG secretary of state Sajid Javid.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.