'"> ');

Author Topic: Vibration noise problems in semi detached house  (Read 11200 times)

Rcat74

Vibration noise problems in semi detached house
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:07:23 am »
We purchased to a Redrow Kenilworth house type in 2016 but were living overseas until last Summer.

All in all our snagging issues have been fairly minor and resolved without problems.
However, our biggest issue is from the extractor hood in next door’s kitchen which makes noise and vibration which can be heard  throughout the ground and first floor of our house and felt in the floor and walls. Redrow technicians have heard it but are baffled. The noise is worst in my daughter's bedroom above our kitchen and in our living room. It is causing me distress.

My husband works away in the week and hadn’t heard it before Christmas time when he was shocked. Redrow keep saying they are looking into it. A friend in the same type of house does not have the same issue. The vent goes out of the side of their house so does not pass near any rooms in our house. Any advice would be very gratefully received. I can cope with the noise of their washing machine on spin but not this noise.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Vibration noise problems in semi detached house
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:18 am »
Clearly there is a building defect.
I sounds like you live in a timber frame house perhaps?

If you don't it is lear to me that there is a big hole somewhere, probably at first floor level which is allowing the sound and vibration to get through.
It could also be that your neighbours extractor hood is faulty.

Whatever, Redrow homes should and must, sort this out.
They are responsible.
Write to Redrow (no phone calls!) and give them a deadline to fix it.
Make a warranty claim if it is not attended to.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Rcat74

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:44:36 am »
Thank you very much for your advice. I don’t know if it is timber framed, I will check. I will contact Redrow today as we only have about 5 months left for snagging.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:36:14 am »
It should state what type of construction on the little card the NHBC give you.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.