'"> ');

Author Topic: Very concerned over mortar  (Read 4528 times)

Lostinthewild

Very concerned over mortar
« on: July 15, 2022, 09:08:40 pm »
Hello,

So I moved into my property in October last year (2021) of which is a semi out of the 2 houses built by a small building developer.

Not long after moving in I noticed bits of the damp proof course missing of which I contacted the builder and put it down to bits where the scaffolding was. He repaired these 2 vertical joints.

A little while after that probably a month or two noticed the tops of the perp joints seemed to be breaking away. Builder was reluctant to fix it and told me he can't keep coming out every time a bit of mortar falls out!

I was a little concerned and got building control out from our local authority as they would have signed it off. He seemed to be dismissive and just said you will get imperfections, left it at that. The builder had to come out to our neighbour to fill some of hers and also some other repairs that she was having problem with so he filled the bits that were missing at the point for us begrudgingly.

Since then, over the months we have noticed more and more things on damp proof course, some bits breaking away, some bits brushing away and worryingly on the main structure, seems to be lots of bits where it brushes away at joints or there seems to be a high number of pebbles within the mortar that have made holes or seem like they are coming to surface of the mortar. It is literally all over all of these things.

Developer was very dismissive again telling me nothing was wrong and basically he would send his groundworks guy round and bricklayer and if they say nothing is wrong, that is it no further repairs made. I got a report done by a surveyor but he just did a vague report not saying much just saying defects and said about a repoint (feel he could have delved a little further). Developer then came to discuss and said he would do some repairs but only like localised which quite frankly by the way it is all over, it would be a mess so basically said go to LABC as couldn't agree.

Since then myself and my neighbour have found more and more bits brushing away and looking at damp proof course she was pushing her key in and seemed to go back.

We have both put our claims in so bracing ourselves for this.

Wanted to upload some photos to see what your thoughts were on this and really just help on this.

Particularly worried it is weak mortar, wondering whether need to pay myself and get it tested and a structural report?

Also with it being a small developer (he isn't a builder himself basically he works full time in an unrelated industry and decided to go into property development too which means it isn't his priority and very hard to deal with such as saying he doesn't know what we have been doing to it and any other fault within the house which coincidently have been mirrored both sides)

Lostinthewild

Re: Very concerned over mortar
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:10:28 pm »
photos

Lostinthewild

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 09:15:44 pm »
next doors images

Lostinthewild

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 09:21:05 pm »
Apologies for all of the photos, so many I have took tried to condense them.

Thanks in advance

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 01:03:30 pm »
Unless it is powdery, I wouldn't be too concerned at this time.
It will need to get much worse for LABC to get involved and even then they are in my opinion not the bets warranty provider.
Check out my blog articles on weak mortar

Bit confused as to why there are small stones in th mortar, which should be building sand only.
I can only suggest they have used sharp sand which they should not have done. That said, the bricklayers would have
kicked off big time if that was the case.

As for the developer who does this as a side line to his main career/income, smacks at a lack of supervision and you may have ended up with a real defective new home. 

My advice is:
1) Notify LABC now to get it on their system
2) Get your home professional inspected and snagged as soon as possible.
3) Write to your developer and tell him in no uncertain terms that he will end up in court idf he contnues to be so dismissive for your concerns!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Lostinthewild

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 07:17:42 pm »

The damp proof is powdery, really dusts off a lot in places and my neighbour has bits that are getting really shallow.

The bits are the main structure brush back though in places leaving lots of gaps. Just perplexed to why and what it will be like further down the line.

My husband had wondered used sharp sand and wondered if this had been used, know it has less workability so would that cause it to dry quicker in places so bits not bonding well together?

If they had used sharp sand, would the LABC do anything about it?

Surely it is a defect? I know the surveyor said obliged to carry out repairs but he said would likely not repoint but if had been done sharp sand, where do you stand with this?

Every time you go out there seems to be more stones and bits brushing back and eventually going to be loads of gaps which surely could cause water ingress which I believe LABC state this in manual?

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 09:28:12 am »
No one will do anything unless it get a lot worse than it is.
Even I would say you need to wait until next spring.
Sharp sand is used on bedding ridge tiles so is probably stronger than building sand but not as workable.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Lostinthewild

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 11:23:49 am »
But it is on some of damp proof course along side the issues higher up.

This is a photo of my next door neighbours which you can see it wearing back and a pile of sand in the floor.

What concerns me is what is below ground too.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 09:47:03 am »
Below ground should be a 1:3 cement sand mix. No lime to be used. 
This is because it has to withstand likely freeze thaw action.
I know from the experience of others, with much more provable weak mix mortar issues than this, that any resoloution via the housebuilder or NHBC,  is a long drawn out process at the end of 2 or 3 years, the best outcome is only to rake out to 25mm deep and repoint affected areas with 1:3 cement:sand mix.

Lostinthewild

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 06:23:21 pm »
Sorry if stupid question but would it not be the same mortar/done at the same time as the bricks below ground. I was told one company did all the way up to top of blue bricks and others did the top bricklaying.  :-\

So that is what worries me is that if the damp proof level isn’t coping, it will be worse under ground?

Apologies for keep going on about this just been a consistent worry along all the other issues that keep showing up with this house. This week the latest with how the boiler was fitted   :-\

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 04:43:31 am »
Yes it is normal for the groundworker to have their own bricklayers who build from foundations to dpc level.
They should be using a 1:3 cement sand mix.  However, once the site superstructure brickwork has started, it is common for them to just use the silos or bricklayer's mortar so it could contain lime as well.

DPC and above is more exposed to all weather.

If you a really worried, get samples of all the mortar both above and below dpc tested for mix proportions.
Even then, with this evidence the builder and warranty provider will do noting until it has fallen out a great deal more.
All you can do is report it to the builder inwriting, and copy the warranty provider.