'"> ');

Author Topic: Uneven Floor, Taylor Wimpey not taking responsibility  (Read 15224 times)

RichardH

Uneven Floor, Taylor Wimpey not taking responsibility
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:45:02 pm »
Can anyone let me know where I stand.

We completed the purchase of a new build on the 19th December 2016. 
The builders made it very difficult to get flooring contractors in beforehand so we had a mad rush to get a firm in to lay amtico before we moved in on the 22nd December. 
The floor had been laid for 6 months so enough time to dry out.

It turns out the floor is uneven, the flooring contractors did lay a smoothing screed but the floor is so uneven to level it would have been a massive job, taking up skirting boards, the wc sink etc.  the floor is so bad that the wc pedestal is not level!

Taylor Wimpey are passing the buck to the flooring contractors as they laid the floor.
I organised the flooring contractors instead of using Taylor Wimpey's flooring service (which was priced far too high).  Because I organised it they are saying that my flooring contractors are responsible for taking up the floor, levelling it and re-laying the floor at their expense, although Taylor Wimpoey will provide the materials to level the floor.

Levelling the floor would take the floor above the bottom of some skirting boards and around the wc pedestal, so these will need to be lifted and re fitted.

Any advice very much appreciated.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Uneven Floor, Taylor Wimpey not taking responsibility
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:47:28 am »
Any flooring contractor should inspect the floor before he starts work. If he considers the finish to be such that he is not confident he can do a satisfactory job then he should bring it to your attention.
IN laying the floor and using some self-levelling latex, he has indeed taken on the responsibility for the overall floor finish.

Taylor Wimpey know full well that their homes are pretty poor and should have levelled the floor properly in the first place, failing that inspected it and carried out remedial works before you moved in, they have a responsibility. 

I would suggest that Taylor Wimpey should take up the floor and re lay it properly at their cost and the flooring contractor re lay the Amtico at his cost.

Taylor Wimpey's flooring contractor would probably have done the same poor job anyway, costing you more, but at least the responsibility would have been more clear cut.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

RichardH

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:23:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, I have only just seen them.  I am not sure why I am not getting email notifications.  Both are denying responsibility.  I'll see where this takes me.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:35:17 am »
If you go to Profile > Account Setting > Modify Profile > Notifications then amend as required and click Save Settings.

But given your post was in March, surely you would have checked for replies before now anyway!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.