'"> ');

Author Topic: Thermal imaging report  (Read 9170 times)

michaelmge

Thermal imaging report
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:19:43 pm »
It has been a while since I posted on here but I am now 3.5 years living in my Bloor Home.
First year dpc levels resolved through LABC warranty.
Next 18 months mortar issues finally repointed with stronger mortar as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

Now into the following 12 months and after other property owners had found problems with insulation I had a thermal imaging report carried out. Apart from the missing CWI, missing and poorly laid loft insulation and missing insulation and unsealed bedroom floor above the carport, it also uncovered air leaks in kitchen window, glazing in front door, the bottom of one of the French doors and from between the unopening side window and the frame.

We had notified them of our concerns about the insulation within the two-year period but the doors/windows was not expected. They have carried out remedial work except the glazing. They did send a fitter from K-Ban fitters who tightened the kitchen window but was unable to do anything about the other issues and Bloor Homes have now washed their hands of it.

The problem appears (to me) that the doors/windows have not been fitted square in the frame. Of course the SAP shows on the EPC that my assessed average result of 7.9 is within the regulations requirements. So apparently your glazing can let draughts in and heat out and it is legal?

Trusting Bloor Homes is something that I would advise everybody to be cautious of. Interestingly, Local Authority Building Control have told me that my property was air tested and passed but cannot explain how it would have passed and of course doesn't explain not showing as being tested on the EPC.

I have been in touch with LABC warranty but don't expect much from them. My real frustration is when you turn to local authority building control for help, after all the problems are a breach of L1A and they just send you back to the developer!! Looks like the papers next. Totally frustrated.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Thermal imaging report
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 10:43:58 am »
Firstly leaking windows and doors are easy to rectify, just a matter of adjusting the hinges and cams, perhaps adding undamaged strips.  So I have no idea why Bloor Homes refuse to do this?

As for your home being on of the few on the site required to be air integrity tested, you should ask for a copy of the test results using a Subject Access Request You can then ask the testing contractor what went on to achieve a "pass" (in name only) given the leaks.

Yet another new home with missing insulation despite the marketing claims made by the  industry that new homes are more energy efficient!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

michaelmge

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 01:00:56 pm »
Thank you for your reply.
Firstly the door has been tightened as much as it can be and as I mentioned the sidelight window is fixed, does not open and cannot be adjusted.

Apparently the air testing was carried out by a one company and the  SAP calculations by another. I did ask for a copy of the test results but they declined to acknowledge or reply. I have in the past used a SAR but anything specific to the house or plot,apparently, is not my personal data and I basically got nothing. When I went to the ICO they backed Bloor Homes.

So something as basic as a test result is not available to the homeowner. So the local authority building control says I had a test done and Bloor Homes refuse to comfirm either way by not acknowledging and the inspector will not get involved, which from my perspective is waving through breaches of building regulations. They know there have been dozens of properties without correctly filled Cavity Wall Insulation but nobody has asked the owners for evidence, so that it can be followed up.

Bri

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 10:21:13 am »
What area are you? I`ve had ongoing problems since day one of moving in.

michaelmge

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:47:43 pm »
Wellington somerset

Bri

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:51:50 pm »
I`m in Waterlooville Hampshire. Having had loads of issues, still ongoing after years of dispute.

Have your issues been sorted?

michaelmge

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 05:47:49 pm »
No.
Although they have done the CWI, a second thermal test has revealed some areas still needing some filling. Also showing cold bridging still occurring on the second test.
They were going to check the loft again but have decided not to. The company that did the carport ceiling did an excellent job and showed all clear second time around. It's the glazing that is the issue. My latest communication to the MD South West, was to ask if they would supply the air tightness test result to the EPC assessor, so that the EPC could be updated to reflect the actual result and not the assessed average for the air permeability, after all the EPC should contain accurate information.

I received an email from their solicitor telling me that his client was unable to assist in this. So I had an extremely bad thermal imaging report and yet my property passed an air tightness test according to the local authority building control. I wonder why they don't want me to know the actual result?