Advice on buying a brand new home > Snagging and defects

Soft Mortar

<< < (6/7) > >>

New Home Expert:
Firstly MD Insurance do not underwrite the LABC or Premier Guarantee warranty they are scheme administrators. The policies are underwritten by AmTrust Europe Limited. AmTrust Europe Limited is part of the AmTrust Group.

As the mortar can be rubbed out it has clearly failed (for whatever reason) and therefore does not comply with Building Regulations and is not "fit for purpose"  Bloor Homes are also in breach of contract as they have not built your home in accordance with Building Regulations and in a workmanlike manner!

As for LABC, this is why I always say to buyers, if the home does not have a NHBC warranty, walk away!

michaelmge:
I have come on here today to have a rant at the way LABC warranty have dealt with my complaint.

I understand that there would be a reluctance to accept that Bloor homes architects could make a mistake when looking at wind and rain exposure but to have dismissed my claim in favour of a desktop review I find appalling.

I have told MDInsurance that I could have sent a RICS report and it would have been ignored.
Their surveyor is working off photos I sent and photos he took last October and his opinion is that there are a few 'minor problems'. Having been told that there are 250 perps in the carport that I can remove by rubbing out they did not even comment on it.

I have told them my evidence was physical but still they would not come for a look. Having a look would have raised the question that all was not as it should be despite the paperwork saying otherwise. I have asked them to tell me what level of evidence they expect householders to provide them with but I do not expect an answer. My neighbours have now found issues with their mortar but this will be dismissed because warranty have ruled on my case. I will not give up on this and now I have a grievance not only against Bloor but warranty as well.

Rant over.

New Home Expert:
Feel free to rant.  You have every good reason. The very least that Bloor and LABC can and should do is come and look at the problem. A desktop study or design does not mean that something will not fail in the real world. Buildings do fall down.

Likewise whatever the suitability of the design of the mortar mix on paper, there are so many things that can and do go wrong that cause mortar to be weak or soft.
A visit to your home is essential. 

Next step, write to LABC and say if they refuse to properly consider your genuine warranty claim seriously, you will be complaining to the financial ombudsman.

I think iot is also time for you to join forces with your neighbours and share information and decide on a joint action. Strength in numbers. Housebuilders divide and conquer!

michaelmge:
HI am still trying to understand why my mortar can be rubbed out so have been asking about the use of BS8104 and all I am getting is that the stations used for the site are sy3, sy4 and py9.

Cannot find what these relate to but apparently they comfirm the site to be sheltered or moderate. Which of course means nothing is making the mortar come out, except it must be doing it to itself.
Strange!!

New Home Expert:
See NHBC Exposure map below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version