'"> ');

Author Topic: Soft Mortar Joints In Places  (Read 49912 times)

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Soft Mortar Joints In Places
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 08:20:29 am »
And the wheels on the bus go round and round!

Whatever the mortar mix is judged by proportions or strength, it is clearly not strong enough and is failing.
It is the amount of cement that gives the strength so the proportions are critical for mortar strength.

I expect the next get out will be the NHBC only agreeing to rectify the "damage" caused by the defect from the required standards not being met, not the actual  "cause" - incorrect weak mortar. 
This will lead to a suggested "solution" of re pointing rather than re building.

It really does seem that senior staff at both Bellway and the NHBC are agreeing in private a course that suits them rather than what is needed.
If the New Homes Ombudsman existed now, perhaps it would be different.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

PSE

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 08:56:53 am »
Thank you for your reply.

It certainly does look that way and makes a real farce out of the Resolution Service that the NHBC offer.  I thought though as we were still in our first 2 years the NHBC would be putting more pressure on the builder to do it to their standards.

I'll wait for the report before my next plan of attack. Over the 18 months this has been like a full time job trying to keep on top of it all especially when they are as corrupt as this lot!!!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 10:39:41 am »
You would think that the NHBC would be keen to resolve this inside the first tow years.
However, as you reported it within the first tow years it is still Bellway's liability under the warranty until it is rectified, even after the two year period.

Not that this matters,  as the NHBC spent £26million rectifying defects in the first two years of the warranty in their last published annual accounts report.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

PSE

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 02:00:09 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

We even had an email from the builder in August stating that they
"had re visited the Resolution Report and will conform to all the recommendations and findings of that report." 
But when the mortar results came back they changed that and the directors got involved.  :'(

PSE

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 05:10:13 am »
Still no news on any proposal yet.  I spoke to the NHBC yesterday and were informed by the claims person that they are still waiting for the powers that be to make a decision. 

I thought this would have been all sorted by now.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 05:35:32 am »
Getting people to take responsibility, especially when money is concerned takes time.
It is not just your house but potentially the whole development.
They will want to silence (Gagging Order) in any agreement reached.

PSE

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 05:56:37 pm »
Finally got the NHBC Resolution Report and as predicted they stated to rake out the mortar to a minimum depth of 25mm and repoint.  It took 4 weeks to reach that decision??? No gagging order though.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 09:37:50 am »
Unless the mortar was affected by frost, which yours isn't as it does not have enough cement in it (as tested) this will only stop it falling out further.

The wall itself will be weak and the wall ties will be bedded in the weak mortar that remains.
Suffice to say that it may well be many years into the future before it gets serious, by that time the NHBC warranty and Bellway's responsibilities for the property may well be long gone.

I think you need to make contact with this chap as he has the same problem and same NHBC decision as you have. (although his house was built by Taylor Wimpey)
https://www.facebook.com/Taylor-Wimpey-Disintegrating-Mortar-637387146438116/
Actually, I've just clicked that link and guess what, the page has since been taken down!
All very suspicious! Perhaps the NHBC or Taylor Wimpey got at him!
Its a pity buyers do this as those that follow have no information or case history to go by.

Nevertheless, you can still see his post about it on my Facebook Group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/unhappynewhomebuyers/

PSE

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 01:28:00 am »
Yes the NHBC Resolution is to bodge it so it will last the remaining years of the 10 year warranty.  Even though In the 2013 NHBC Standards Technical Requirements Chapter 1.1 it states:

"R3  Materials requirement All materials, products and building systems shall be suitable for their intended purpose"

"The structure of the home shall, unless specifically agreed otherwise in writing with NHBC, have a life of at least 60 years. Individual components and assemblies, not integral to the structure, may have a lesser durability and need planned maintenance, repair or replacement during that period."

As the mortar is weak how can they say the structure will now still last 60 years??

PSE

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 01:19:25 am »
I have just been looking through my NHBC Updated Resolution Report again.

In the Report it states that the builder must rake out 25mm etc and then states so their Technical Standards 2013 R4 are met?  Strangely there is no mention of and more importantly their Technical Standards 2013 R3 having to be met?

Conclusion:
Either the NHBC and the builder are fully aware that by just repointing the facing bricks by 25mm their Technical Standards 2013 R3 could never be met.

Or.

Crazily I know - as my original Resolution Meeting was due to just the facing bricks mortar being weak/eroding (suspected frost damage as I was told) the NHBC Claims have just processed the claim on that alone and not taken into account the load bearing walls etc and the same mortar being used.

If then the latter is the case I would then need to put another Claim in with the NHBC based on the fact that as the facing bricks mortar is weak I suspect the Load Bearing walls mortar to be also weak.  I would then have another Claims Resolution Meeting and eventually they would have to come and make a decision take mortar samples of the Load Bearing Walls from inside the loft and then go through the same process again?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 06:50:10 am »
To check the internal mortar, a section of the block wall would need to be exposed and some mortar samples taken inside your house.

It is normal practice to build the brickwork first so it could be that the blockwork may have been built with a different mix, especially is coloured mortar was used for the brickwork, or if a new delivery was made, which is probable at sometime in the superstructure build of your home.

The NHBC are not being fair in my opinion, perhaps you should leaflet EVERY house on your development and tell them of the weak mortar, or tell the NHBC that you will?

So much for the "peace of mind" warranty!

PSE

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 07:25:19 pm »
I spoke to Bellway today and they have rejected the NHBC Updated Resolution Report and they have requested a meeting with themselves, The NHBC, the mortar company, and myself.

I wonder what deal they will do before they all arrive?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 05:54:01 am »
Points to note:
1) It looks like you will be out-numbered.
2) They will most certainly not blame each other in front of you.
3) This meeting should be held between them and either the NHBC or Bellway report what has been decided as a course of action or what the options are.
4) Record the meeting on your phone or recording device.  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!
5) If you can, have legal representation or an expert attend with you.
6) Do not offer tea, coffee to them, They are not your friends or invited "guests".
7) Ask the NHBC what is happening to Keith Hume's Taylor Wimpey house at Kittlegairy  - Kingsmeadows, Peebles. which has the same defect.
8 ) Ask about the possibility of NHBC/Bellway buying the house off you at a price agreeable to you plus moving expenses. They have done this before. Ask the NHBC about Colin Cumine's  Bellway house at Dehaviland Way Skelmersdale Lancashire (November/December 2013) He was gagged by the NHBC -  I'm not!

PSE

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 05:13:30 am »
I spoke to the mortar company yesterday as I wanted some information from them.  I was told that they were unable to give me this information however Bellway had already been given this information. They also stated that they were having a meeting today with Bellway.

I also spoke to Bellway again yesterday and they are adamant the mortar is still OK? 
I think they ordered the wrong mortar as it is a M4 Design Mix but as we know that doesn't necessarily have the cement content that the NHBC Standards 2013 states.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:41 am »
What you can deduce from this is they are all running scared.
Obviously, this has implications for the whole development.
If only you could get hold of the discussions!

Perhaps once you have their final proposals, you should do a Subject Access Request to the manufacturer, Bellway and the NHBC. It will only cost you £10 a time but the information you get back (they have 40 days to comply) might be very revealing!