'"> ');

Author Topic: Several cracked bricks  (Read 4789 times)

AndieA

Several cracked bricks
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:27:33 pm »
I am hoping to get some advice here before we contact anyone (insurance, NHBC etc.)
We are the second owners of a house built by Keepmoat in 2016.
No major issues were flagged during homebuyers survey, we did not have a full structural survey done  :(
We started to notice a few cracked bricks (see pictures).
These seem to be very random. There is no obvious pattern to it.
The cracks do not seem to be going through the mortar.
Any advice on what could be causing this please?
Thank you

Maxell

Re: Several cracked bricks
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:47:17 pm »
Hi , it is normal for a few bricks to crack as the house settles and dries out .

Maxell

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 07:08:32 am »
This is nothing to do with settlement as the mortar is intact.

My guess would be they were like this when built, hairline cracks as a result of the kiln firing of the clay during the manufacturing process.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

AndieA

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 07:37:28 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies and the reassurance.
We took another picture recently and if you zoom in, there is a very thin hairline crack going through both bricks and mortar.
(I drew a line next to it on the photo).
We will contact NHBC I think, because this is on the corner of the house, where the rain drain pipe/drain is. And there are several cracked bricks on the other side of this corner too.
I do not have much hope that NHBC will do anything about it though (after reading some other posts on here).

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 10:06:21 am »
This looks serious and the NHBC must inspect it.
Get anything they tell you (excuses for doing nothing) in writing and tell them you want an independent engineer to inspect and report as you believe it is a structural failure.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.