'"> ');

Author Topic: Part E Resistance to Sound & DIY Sound Test  (Read 5907 times)

Midwest

Part E Resistance to Sound & DIY Sound Test
« on: January 25, 2020, 03:05:14 pm »
Purchased a Bloor Home in 2018. Quite pleased with it and their responce to snags.
We have always been disappointed with the sound transference around the house, but accepted it I suppose as it being a new build.

I'm having them back to inspect some creaking flooring on the 1st floor (we have chipboard floors & TJI joists) and a creaking staircase. My floor layer says we would not be able to put back the stair carpet, and the landing carpet would not match if the stair carpet was replaced. In member's experience, how are the creaking floors fixed in these instance, from above or below?

My main question is however, can I carry out a DIY test to see if my property is complying with Part E2. As I understand it, as our property was one of the first type built on the development, mine or my neighbours house would of been subject to an acoustic test. As I sit here at my PC on the first floor, I can hear someone using the WC below me.

I will probably carry out some sound proofing myself in due course, but I just want to verify things first.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Part E Resistance to Sound & DIY Sound Test
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:21:21 am »
I will answer in three parts:
Staircase:
It is highly likely this would have been delivered in two or more parts, perhaps even with a half landing constructed on site.  It will be the joining of the parts which is making the noise, from both lack of glue and insufficient fixings.  IN addition, it is also not uncommon for the carpet layer when fixing the gripper rods, to knock out the ply risers which do to an extent hold up the treads and if this is the case this would cause a squeak too. Finally the bottom tread is a bullnose this too could be loose.

Floor:
This has been covered so many times before on this forum. Please refer to the previous posts.
If the spans are too great and if joist suppliers instructions have not been 100% adhered to there are many things which would cause the floor to creak due to excessive deflection.
Another cause is the drylining up to the underside of the joists or ceiling plasterboard.

WC:
All SVP boxings should be insulated with sound deadening quilt. You should not be able to hear the WC flushing from either floor in any room.

Given what I have been told about Bloor's poor aftersales, I think you have been very fortunate to get your snagging completed.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Midwest

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:58:02 pm »
I will answer in three parts:
Staircase:
It is highly likely this would have been delivered in two or more parts, perhaps even with a half landing constructed on site.  It will be the joining of the parts which is making the noise, from both lack of glue and insufficient fixings.  IN addition, it is also not uncommon for the carpet layer when fixing the gripper rods, to knock out the ply risers which do to an extent hold up the treads and if this is the case this would cause a squeak too. Finally the bottom tread is a bullnose this too could be loose.

Floor:
This has been covered so many times before on this forum. Please refer to the previous posts.
If the spans are too great and if joist suppliers instructions have not been 100% adhered to there are many things which would cause the floor to creak due to excessive deflection.
Another cause is the drylining up to the underside of the joists or ceiling plasterboard.

WC:
All SVP boxings should be insulated with sound deadening quilt. You should not be able to hear the WC flushing from either floor in any room.

Given what I have been told about Bloor's poor aftersales, I think you have been very fortunate to get your snagging completed.

Thanks for the reply.

The stairs are a single flight. I'd say about half are creaking. They pretty much always have, except since making my complaint, I can't replicate the fault! I think its, when they have not been used (overnight), and perhaps when it's colder, that's when we hear it. Take onboard what you say about the carpet fitter. Might just leave it. At least it's logged. I have until the summer, before two years are up.

Re the creaking floor; yes I've read from others on here, of the problems they've had. Luckily (or not), it's the landing which has just started to creak. It has a carpet which can be removed. It does creep into one bedroom, which has Kardean flooring (relay-able), but I'm not too keen on having it lifted. Can it be rectified from below?

My other concern is the noise transfer between floors, and rooms with WC. I note its 43dB & 40dB. I've done a simple DIY test with a meter, and get 36dB on both, i.e source room was 72 and receiving room 36. I know the test is a bit more technical than that.
I've read, that the first house of each type should have an acoustic test carried out?
Me and the neighbours were the first of our type. Noted your comment on the soil stack lagging.

I have had 5 houses in my time, only one was not a new build, so I know what to expect. This is the first one with I beams, and metal studwork though.

To be fair to Bloor Homes, they have been prompt with the snagging and done what I've asked, this being a bit more involved though. For example, I reported this problem on Saturday, had a phone call Monday and someone's coming this Thursday to inspect

Midwest

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 04:10:58 pm »
Repair to creaky floor, has been put off due to COViD 19.

I been researching re the sound transference, which relates to E1 & E2, but it seems there's no requirement for acoustic tests and detached properties?

Maxell

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:46:18 am »
If you had your own carpets fitted, it would be your responsibility to uplift to allow the work and refit on completion.  The squeak could be any of the above answers if it is on a section it could be a problem underneath. Put your ear to any walls underneath the stairs, cupboards or wc.

Squeaking floors can be fixed from above or below but will depend on the constuction and what is causing the noise.

The noise would require the builders inspecting the casings for board colour, thickness, quilt and parge coat.

Midwest

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 12:43:22 pm »
Thanks.

I'll try pass on the costs of lifting & relaying carpet onto the builder. But not unduly worried. Had originally logged the stairs as creaking, louder than the landing. But it had stopped at the time of inspection. Unfortunately, its returned but not as loud as before. Carpet fitter said stair carpet couldn't be refitted, as he needs the extra bit of carpet to stretch on the grippers. Would therefore need replacing, and he couldn't guarantee new stair carpet matching with landing; so if stairs carpet need lifting, the whole lot might have to be replaced.

Still can't get any definitive guidance on sound transference within a detached property.

Maxell

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 09:01:39 am »
The Builder will not be responsible for the cost of uplifting and refitting carpet . If the gripper has been nailed they will say the carpet fitter has damaged the riser fixings as they should only be glued in place .
The risers are plywood and screwed or nailed into the back of the treads , hammering gripper rods breaks this join causing the treads to flex and squeak . If there are any walls underneath the stairs it could be the stud work creaking .
Your fitter is right carpet is stretched over the gripper then cut but it is possible to refit without replacing just he wouldn't guarantee it .

Thanks

Midwest

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:02 am »
Don't know about the gripper bars, wasn't around when it was fitted. To be honest, not unduly worried about the stairs, its only two steps that creak, and only first thing when somebody walks on them. Stops after that. Probably just get the landing done.

Must get on my research about passage of sound within a detached property. I found out there is not test required to confirm design & construction, of the walls & floors, but there must be some standard?