'"> ');

Author Topic: Paint on the timber frame around my door peeling / flaking  (Read 8637 times)

Louise

Paint on the timber frame around my door peeling / flaking
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:37:55 pm »
Hello,

I moved in June 2017 and had a few snags done around the house, I almost felt guilty asking but I knew I should!!

I’ve been noticing that the paint work on the timber frame around my front door has completely peeled / flaked off and I don’t know what I shouldn’t do.

Is it too late, is it covered? I just don’t think it’s acceptable that it should be like that already

Thanks for any help

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Paint on the timber frame around my door peeling / flaking
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:07:54 am »
It shouldn't be peeling in a little over a year.

But if a bit of peeling paint to an external door frame is all you have probably better if you just buy some Dulux Weathershield gloss and rub it down and apply 2 coats yourself. At least then it should last 5-10 years!

Buying a new home doesn't mean buying a maintenance free home!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Louise

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 11:31:50 am »
Hi thanks for replying!

I understand the maintenance is down to me but surely this is no different to sunken flags, the mortar issue etc?

I am not the most confident and would be nervous ‘fighting’ them on this but if the paint work is flaking completely off already then was it not done right?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:06:48 am »
It's a new home so in all probability "not done right"
I expect the frame was very wet when it was painted. Could also be the wrong paint, no primer etc.

Ver indicative that you have a poor quality new home, who is the housebuilder?
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Louise

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:30 am »
It's Roland Homes. I live in a semi and my neighbours door (right next to mine) is ok it's just one side of my timber frame that has completely flaked off (the other side is fine)

Thank you

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:04:05 am »
Probably one side is more exposed to the rain and in the sun more.