Advice on buying a brand new home > Snagging and defects

NHBC standards for chipboard floors on I-joists?

<< < (2/13) > >>

Mugen:
Hi New Home Expert,

Thanks for the information will sure come in handy and the quest to beat the developer!!

Mugen:
Hi TaylorWimpeyDidThis,

I had the NHBC meeting with the builder and conveniently enough they showed up at my door at the same time (read many of these stories before!) I found the NHBC rather friendly with the builder and one could easily mistake them to be friends or colleagues, they also addressed each other by first names (should I have been surprised?  :-\). I felt that the NHBC investigator was on the developer's side for the most part and wasn't interested on what I had to say or I what wanted to show them (I wonder why???). They listened to the developer on what sections of the floor should be opened and I didn't get much of a say to be honest (I guess by this time you are not surprised either eh?  :D)

However, I had an expert witness from the industry at the meeting who questioned some areas of floor and commented on bad workmanship when sections of it was opened up.

In the end the NHBC ruled in my favour, that the builder must relay the floors in the bedrooms but I felt that the investigations which took place were not adequate and thorough enough to conclude the work which has been ordered. I also overheard the NHBC say to the builder something along the lines of "you can't be seen to not do anything," whilst they were discussing amongst themselves (I can only assume that this came about because my expert witness had pushed them and that had some valid points on the failure of the floor!)

There was no discussion with me and they had already decided among themselves on what is going to be done whilst they had a little whisper meeting outside. I didn't get to have a say on what was going to happen or any real opportunity to ask anything as they were leaving. It was decided that the builder is to arrange works with me even though I did not have clear information on exactly what needs to be done, I was just told they know what to do at first until I questioned but even the answer was very vague.

It may appear that I have beaten the builder in this instance but I truly believe that I only got a result as I had a professional on my side, if not for that I think the builder would have won and walked away with a smirk. I do not really have much faith in the work which has been ordered, not only because the way I felt I had won but because the investigations were not thorough, plus I have had sections of the floors opened in one of my other rooms in the past, where the builder glued the boards down and added quite a few screws to secure the floor but did not make any difference (I actually mentioned this in the meeting too, but it was ignored).  I have also read that others with similar issues had new boards installed but didn't rectify the issue. Moreover, I have spoken to a few people who experienced these problems who got a result with either the developer or NHBC by installing independent ceiling systems e.g. resilient bars or additional joists being inserted between the existing one to decouple the ceiling. So I some how feel that my victory maybe short lived.

I hope you get your issues sorted out and I will keep you posted as the event unfold.

Good Luck!

New Home Expert:
Regarding the work that has been agreed will be done, the NHBC should (must) write to you following their inspection, detailing what was found wrong and what is proposed to put it right.

It makes sense for the NHBC and builder's representative to call on you together. otherwise one of them would be kept waiting.
It is also highly possible that they would know each other, especially if the builder's customers are always complaining to the NHBC!  It is polite  to be on first name terms too.
Perhaps the builder's representative was a customer care manager and would regularly speak with NHBC claims inspectors.
I would believe it is human nature to try and limit the extent of remedial works, especially in someone's home and especially when any improvement may be unlikely or they are unsure of the cause and how serious the issues may be.

The NHBC is far from perfect and they do have some empathy with the house builders.
But consider how bad things would be if the NHBC did not exist to inspect and set standards and force builders to fix problems?

The main problem with timber floors is they get too wet before the home is weatherproof.  
In the old days, (before TJI and health and safety) the flooring was only installed after the roof was covered and the windows and external doors fitted!

TWDT
Drying out (aka "settling") is always more of a problem with timber frame new homes.
Floors cannot be fixed from underneath!  Taylro Wimpey are trying to save themselves a bit of money in not having to relay the Amtico flooring, even though taking down a ceiling will be more of an inconvenience for their long suffering customer!

Mugen:
Supposedly after work gets carried out and it does not fix the issue.
Do you know if I can have them out again to look at it say from a ceiling perspective since no investigations where carried out there?

Thanks again.

New Home Expert:
You can get them out as many times as it takes to fix the issue.
Especially now, as they have acknowledged and accepted that a problem needs dealing with.
But.........it is not an issue with the ceiling and taking them down is very messy! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version