'"> ');

Author Topic: New Persimmon House - Cracks in Brickwork  (Read 6997 times)

hltn

New Persimmon House - Cracks in Brickwork
« on: May 11, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »
I am new to the forum and we are about to complete on the purchase of our Persimmon home.
We have visited the site every few weeks and progress looked like it was on track. We have exchanged contracts and are set to complete on the purchase at the end of this month.

On our visit today we were alarmed that there was scaffolding back up against one side of the house and it looks like there is a crack down the side of the house. They appear to have started trying to rectify this by cutting a bit slit down the side of the house and have removed some bricks. We are obviously very concerned about this as no-one has mentioned any problems to us and we only found this by a chance visit to site.

My main concern is that this is a serious structural problem that they are going to try and cover up before we complete and could happen again after completion. I would appreciate your advice if you have seen anything similar and what they are trying to do to fix the issue?

I have attached some images. The first is the side of the house on a previous visit without any cracks and then todays visit where the cracks are visible (they have marked the cracked bricks with crosses) and the large slit down the side of the house. The site manager is not on site today but I have been promised from the sales people that he will call on Monday but just hoping for some information before I hear their side.

Thanks for you advice in advance.

Jon

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: New Persimmon House - Cracks in Brickwork
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:26:06 am »
This looks like they have missed the movement joint and are now cutting it in.
The slots are so ties can be added to allow the movement yet tie the two halves together.
It demonstrates the lack of care and attention to detail Persimmon are known for.

In my opinion, this will never be as good as it would have been if constructed as the wall was built.
In fact, it may even be worse than leaving it with no joint as they are normally only required every 12m.

Please have your home professionally snagged and inspected before you legally complete!
I recommend Tim Fee 07768 900200 of Snagging Inspections.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector