Advice on buying a brand new home > Snagging and defects

New build apartment - building regs legal requirement for underlay (Part E)

<< < (2/2)

Site carpenter:
I am really sorry to hear this. 1.1 C floors should be banned. Even if builder had put down underlay the new occupant could remove it. This 1.1c system offers the downstairs occupant no security against sound transfer whatsoever.
I have tried to think of cheaper alternatives for you, but there are none. A new ceiling suspended from rubber mounted brackets and an insulation sandwich is the only practical solution. I work in construction and try my best to do a good job, it really annoys me that the industry is being brought into disrepute by a few idiots that put profit before reputation. I don't know how they can sleep at night.

Site carpenter:
I have had a thought, your builder says that your floor type is 1.1c, this is a solid concrete floor. However your builder may have used bison beams on the floor, this requires different sound proofing. Bison beam floors are basically planks of concrete , so you will be able to see the joints above your ceiling. Bison beams have a hollow structure so the sound proofing is different! Please see this download link.

New Home Expert:
Whilst I sympathise, I don't think £7,000 to make your flat both habitable for you and more saleable when the time comes is a small price to pay for your peace and sanity!  £500,000 for a flat is expensive!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version