'"> ');

Author Topic: Moved in a few days ago. Is footfall from above acceptable? Taylor Wimpey  (Read 5830 times)

trumpeter

I moved in a couple of days ago. Last night I noticed the sound of pounding which seemed to be footfall coming from the flat above. I'm wondering if this is acceptable or if there might be some issue I should raise with the builders?

I've read elsewhere that there should be a cavity between my ceiling and the upstairs neighbour's floor which should prevent any transference of footfall.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Taylor Wimpey have form for noise transfer including from flats above!

First of all please don't complete the 8-week customer satisfaction survey until Taylor Wimpey have sorted this out. In fact, when you write, tell them you will give a bad survey response if they don't sort it out.

Yes there is usually a void between the plasterboard and the PCC concrete floor beams. It can be insulated but I doubt this will prevent the impact sound noise you are suffering.
The floor needs to be isolated in most cases carpet and a decent underlay and reasonable neighbours is sufficient. Nowadays, laminate flooring and ceramic tiled floors make it more of an issue.

If you live in a timber frame block of flats, the floor will be timber and it will be even worse, especially if the upper floor is not fully isolated from the floor joists and walls as per required standard and robust details.  If it is timber frames construction, you should also be concerned what would happen if a flat in your block were to catch fire!

Finally, often acoustic testers and warranty inspectors as well as housebuilders such as Taylor Wimpey, will tell you there are no requirements in the Building Regulations that cover "impact sound" 
This is a moot point, as any sound transference is not acceptable beyond normal reasonable levels.

If Taylor Wimpey don't respond write to the NHBC.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

trumpeter

Many thanks for your advice.

I have since figured out that the noise is actually coming through an adjoining wall. It's low vibrational sound - basically every step my neighbour takes is audible, even though he is only wearing socks. There's also some air born sound too, I can hear light switches and crockery occasionally.

Will this make any difference to how I ought to approach the matter with Taylor Wimpey?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
No. It is sound transference which you should not be able to hear.
Good luck with Taylor Wonkey!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.