'"> ');

Author Topic: Missing Window Detailing  (Read 7861 times)

billinghamn

Missing Window Detailing
« on: May 19, 2020, 10:05:34 am »
New to this forum, so any help from more experienced users would be very much appreciated.

Not long since we moved into a new home and we have noticed that the brick detailing above and below the windows at the rear of our property have not been installed correctly.  The lightweight brick header above one window is in place, but it is missing from two other windows.  The lightweight brick sill is missing from all three windows.

This seems like a complete mess up, which the builder should have picked up as part of quality control.  The builder is suggesting it's just cosmetic and they won't fix it.

Any advice as to what my rights are?  I'm pushing the builder into retrofitting the detailing, although I have no knowledge as to whether this is possible or not.

billinghamn

Re: Missing Window Detailing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:07:43 pm »
I've also now checked the approved planning application, and there are a number of houses on the development whose elevations do not match the elevation drawings approved as part of the planning application.  I.e. there are a number of houses where the brick detailing doesn't match the detailing that should have been installed.

Midwest

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:29:46 am »
Got any pictures you can post?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 10:59:29 am »
First of all, you bought the house and should have been shown, drawings, elevations, specifications and there would have been a brochure. Presumably all of this would have shown what your own home would look like.

What you now have appears to be a hotch-potch of neither detailing or no detailing at all. The housebuilder is wrong to suggest it is just cosmetic and refuse to put it right.
With construction there is absolutely nothing at all that cannot be re done. At the extreme, a house can be demolished and rebuilt if that is what is right and required.

It is only lazy and indifferent housebuilder that try to suggest nothing can be done purely because it would be too expensive and/or time consuming to carry out and for no other reason.

Name the housebuilder and a photo or two would be useful.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:01:54 am »
I've also now checked the approved planning application, and there are a number of houses on the development whose elevations do not match the elevation drawings approved as part of the planning application.  I.e. there are a number of houses where the brick detailing doesn't match the detailing that should have been installed.

You could suggest to the housebuilder you are of a mind to inform the council that many of the homes constructed are in breach of the approved planning application drawings, should they continue to refuse to rectify your home!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

billinghamn

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 12:35:58 pm »
Many thanks for your replies New Home Expert!  Very much appreciated.

The home builder is Bloor Homes, and the site is in Drayton, just south of Abingdon in Oxfordshire.

First image is of the front of the house, which has the brick header and sill on each window.  The upper windows do not have the brick header due to the fascia tiles and closeness of the roof.

Second image is of the rear of the house, which should have similar window detailing.  You should be able to see that the only detailing included is the brick header on the upper window on the right hand side.

I've asked Bloor to escalate the issue and I am waiting for a response.

Midwest

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 08:13:39 am »
What house style do you have, is it the Bulberry? I see from the pictures on their website of plot 134, it does show that brick detailing above the main windows (i.e. missing from yours).

I was shown elevation plans etc, when I made my deposit, was even told what style roofing type I would have. If I recall I had to sign those docs, and I kept copies. Do you have access to these documents?

I'll check my documentation, to see if there's any reference to changes in minor designs etc. I wonder if there's scope for them with that, in the signed agreement?

Midwest

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 12:44:13 pm »
I couldn't find any documentary proof, that I had signed for and given plans, specifically elevation plans. However, I found a brochure given to me by Bloor, 'Consumer Code for Builders'. The document refers to Consumer Code applying to reservations after 1st April 2017, there were previous editions from 2010. It sets out mandatory Requirements that all Home Builders must meet in marketing, selling of their Homes and after sales customer service.

Reading through it, there's a section on pre purchase information, specifically if a home is not complete; brochure or plan illustrating the general layout, appearance and plot position of the home. And some other information. That would be the elevation plans I spoke previously.

If the elevations, your brick detailing, has changed from the original build, that might be a starting point for you. Unless of course they have an opt out clause for small cosmetic changes?

billinghamn

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:47:00 am »
Thanks Midwest!  Yes it's a Bolberry - Plot 136.  We know the owners of Plot 134 (that's also a Bolberry, as you have indicated).  Their window detailing is all as per approved plans.  I'll have to check through the documentation that Bloor provided to us, but if there was anything that suggested they could change the cosmetic look and feel of the house, there's no way we would have signed up.

I have asked Bloor to escalate the issue and for them to respond back to me, so I'll see what they say next.

Have you moved into the Dovecote now?  Great place to live - shame about some of the building issues we are now uncovering!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 10:10:09 am »
First thing to mention here is the Consumer Code for Home Builders is not mandatory.
Housebuilders can and most do breach the CCHB requirements regularly, with a degree of impunity as this is not independent and payments to buyers for builder's repeated breaches historically, have been a disgrace.  I appreciate that the CCHB website does not say this!

All of which is why I have been campaigning for 6 years for government to set up a statutory New Homes Ombudsman which it announced on 1st October 2018 which is now in the most recent Queen's speech.

With regards to the brick detailing to the windows.
The front elevation is perfectly correct and acceptable.
The rear elevation is clearly a mistake and either all of the windows should have had the soldier arch above or it could have been omitted (as a cost saving).
The header course under the windows should have been included too.

Bloor Homes should add soldier courses to the ground floor windows and header courses under the windows.  Bloor Homes cannot change detailing on one house of the same type so it is different from other homes on the same estate. A mistake which can and should be rectified.
Bloor Homes are poor at dealing with complaints and I expect you will have a battle over this.

I would add that the quality of the bricklaying also leaves a lot to be desired. For example, left hand side of top right window.

Midwest

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 12:11:51 pm »
Thanks Midwest!  Yes it's a Bolberry - Plot 136.  We know the owners of Plot 134 (that's also a Bolberry, as you have indicated).  Their window detailing is all as per approved plans.  I'll have to check through the documentation that Bloor provided to us, but if there was anything that suggested they could change the cosmetic look and feel of the house, there's no way we would have signed up.

I have asked Bloor to escalate the issue and for them to respond back to me, so I'll see what they say next.

Have you moved into the Dovecote now?  Great place to live - shame about some of the building issues we are now uncovering!

No, we moved onto a site in West Oxfordshire, although I do know other people have moved onto your site. Did you have elevation plans? My show those sorts of details.

Although I have not had any major errors like yourself, I have been impressed by the way Bloor have responded to snags on my property. Hope you'll find the same. I can only speak as I find.

billinghamn

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »
No, we moved onto a site in West Oxfordshire, although I do know other people have moved onto your site. Did you have elevation plans? My show those sorts of details.

Although I have not had any major errors like yourself, I have been impressed by the way Bloor have responded to snags on my property. Hope you'll find the same. I can only speak as I find.

To be fair to Bloor, we have been pretty happy with the way that they have dealt with our snags.  Still got our 6 month snagging list to complete (delayed due to Covid-19), but there are times when Bloor dig their heels in and refuse to play ball.  Eventually they relent, but it takes time and effort.  It would be a much improved customer experience if they just jumped to the point when they agree with their customers!

We are going to seek out legal advice, on whether we can claim that the missing brick detailing has an impact on value or marketability of our property.  Looks like this is our best course of action on the basis that the seller (developer) has a right to change the construction without advising the purchaser (us) unless any change has a significant impact on one of those two attributes.  This is a clause in the sales contract.

If anyone has any good legal contacts that might be helpful, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Midwest

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 06:21:13 am »
My wife has reminded me about the instance with a neighbour. Before they moved in, they saw their boundary had been completed using a wooden fence. When their had signed etc, they were told it would be a block wall, the same as the house. They complained, and the wooden fence was removed, and block wall installed. Also, as they and immediate neighbours are on a different level, they changed the detail of the combination of the wall and fence, so their neighbour wasn't looking into their garden when parking his car. 

If I recall, they took their complaint higher up, not with just site & sales etc.

billinghamn

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 02:07:06 pm »
My wife has reminded me about the instance with a neighbour. Before they moved in, they saw their boundary had been completed using a wooden fence. When their had signed etc, they were told it would be a block wall, the same as the house. They complained, and the wooden fence was removed, and block wall installed. Also, as they and immediate neighbours are on a different level, they changed the detail of the combination of the wall and fence, so their neighbour wasn't looking into their garden when parking his car. 

If I recall, they took their complaint higher up, not with just site & sales etc.

Thanks Midwest - that's useful to know.

I've escalated to the Regional team, and will be emailing the CEO of Bloor Homes next.  No harm in aiming high!

Midwest

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 07:50:52 pm »
Good luck. Despite of what you read on here, most businesses want to remain fluid. There's no press like bad press.