'"> ');

Author Topic: Mastic around windows  (Read 7162 times)

Sick-of-it

Mastic around windows
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:27:04 pm »
Living a nightmare with Barratt.

I have noticed that the gaps between my window frame (and doors) and the bricks is between 15mm and 25mm, it look very large and is filled with white mastic.

I checked the NHBC standards, which quotes the British Standard (BS 8213) which recommends a maximum gap of 7.5mm for white PVC Windows. However it also states that NHBC will not accept a gap over 10mm wide.

Barretts are saying it’s fine and working as designed.

Any views? It’s clearly outside standard, how would they fix this? Should I push it?

Thanks!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Mastic around windows
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:01:12 am »
Yes it is wrong and yes the gaps are too wide.
Barratt are playing hardball because to correct it would probably means taking down one side fo the wall and re building it to the frame. Or getting new frames made to fit the large openings which would be my choice and easier and quicker.

NHBC has standards and tolerances but neither matter a jot when a buyer like you wants poor quality way outside what is reasonable, remedied, One thing for sure, if you do nothing it will happen again  and again. Make a claim on you NHBC warranty if Barratt continue to refuse.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Sick-of-it

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:01:58 pm »
Many thanks,

I have submitted a claim now.

I have no faith in the NHBC at all, although I am not letting them away with it!

Could they try to use trim to fill the gap?

If they do, and I end up taking them to small claims (if I can keep the window replacement cost below £10,000), would I have to get the work done first, or would the court accept quotes?

Many thanks - only when we push back will anything change!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:32:26 pm »
Yes they could try and use upvc trim to cover the gaps. It's been done before.

No point of getting work done until you have won any court cases and have been awarded a settlement so get quotes and use these for your claim.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Sick-of-it

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:40:59 am »
So NHBC tell me they won’t get involved because despite the below, it’s only guidance!

Any advice?

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/ProductsandServices/TechZone/NHBCStandards/TechnicalGuidanceDocuments/67/filedownload,64142,en.pdf

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:50 am »
Yes all NHBC Standards are deemed guidance (by the NHBC) as to how the technical requirements can be met.

One thing for sure is if the guidance isn't followed it is likely the technical requirements could be breached.  However the NHBC use many ways like a lack of resultant "damage" to avoid sorting out bad practice, work outside tolerances and omissions.

For example a  DPC should be" 150mm minimum above finished ground level. It is quite common for this to not be the case, however if there is no damp inside the home or deterioration of the brickwork then this would be, and is, dismissed by the NHBC.

Precisely why a New Homes Ombudsman is badly needed.