'"> ');

Author Topic: Issue with Tiled floor helped needed with NHBC standards  (Read 3876 times)

tim

Issue with Tiled floor helped needed with NHBC standards
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:55:50 pm »
We have an issue with our tiled floor in the kitchen. The floor (approx 8m x 3.5m) slopes and one end and also across width of the room and is generally wavy (if that makes sense).

The house builder has agreed to replace approx a third of the floor but the tilers they sent round said the whole floor needs replacing (which the house builder disputes).

I have been looking at the NHBC standard online and wondered if anyone would be able to answer some questions about it:

1) NHBC has a standard Document for each year, should I be looking at the latest or the year my house was built (2017)?

2) For a tiled floor, should we be following the flooring standard (9.1.5) or the tile finishes standard (9.1.7)?

3) In order for the floor to be considered within NHBC tolerances does it have to pass all items listed?

The homebuilder seems to be using the flooring standard (9.1.5) and has told me that as long as the floor doesn't deviate move than 20mm over 6m it is not defective (they haven't actually measured this), even though it does deviate more than 5mm over 2m in several places (measured by their own technician).

Many Thanks

Tim

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Issue with Tiled floor helped needed with NHBC standards
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 09:37:52 am »
You really need to name the housebuilder.
Yes the NHBC have the Consistent approach to finishes which is the housebuilders 'get out of jail free' card. So much for the NHBC's clam of "raising standards" and "protecting homeowners"

If a floor is not flat as opposed to not perfectly 100% level, it is wrong.
The housebuilder should be doing it again, not trying everything possible to wriggle out of their bad workmanship, possibly with the aid of the NHBC.
If any of the NHBC  "guideline" tolerances are not met, then the floor should be done again.

Get the NHBC to inspect it anyway.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector