'"> ');

Author Topic: Ground floor noise and stairs in a terrace.  (Read 7894 times)

east_london_pizzaguy

Ground floor noise and stairs in a terrace.
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:08:38 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for being here, forum!
I've read so much about buying a new home and some of the issues that can come up.

We've recently moved in to a new build terrace. It's a set of properties built in to an existing terrace row.

The relevant standard the house is built to is:

http://www.robustdetails.com/the-handbook/selecting-your-robust-details/masonry-walls/e-wm-3#2546

The issue we currently have is that in our living room, which has a shared wall with next door, we can hear the noise of their kids running cars on the laminate floor and the noise of just regular stair use, along with talking etc.
It seems hugely excessive given how the property should have been built. I've contacted the builder and asked for architectural information and the relevant forms that were signed off - but I'm just wondering if anybody else has this kind of issue, or if any experts have any opinions.

Small diagram below shows the layout:

Code: [Select]
____________ ________________
|            |util|  kitchen  |
|  living    |__  |_____      |
|   room      _           \___|
|            |loo #######      /
|____________|____#######_____/  <front door
|            |util|  kitchen  |
|  living    |__  |_____      |   # is the stairs in both properties
|   room      _           \___|
|            |loo #######      /
|____________|____#######_____/  <our front door
             *Older Property*

I'm not sure if maybe some mistake was made in the concrete laid for the ground floor or if the stairs were constructed in such a way that any noise transmits louder than to be expected. Should I be able to hear next door's kids jumping on their floor on the first floor, when I'm downstairs?

Thanks again.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Ground floor noise and stairs in a terrace.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 05:10:10 am »
If the wall has been built exactly to the robust detail then you should not be able to hear much coming from your neighbours.

I would suggest that your neighbours and their unruly kids are the issue here as they are inconsiderate of your need for peace in your own home.  Even the best sound insulation in the world cannot insulate you from neighbours from hell.

All I can advice is the have a word and tell them to be quieter, if that fails, write to the council.

This is why terraced houses are cheaper and people prefer detached houses.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

east_london_pizzaguy

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
Yeah I figured as much!
I'm currently investigating as the thing which is baffling me is quiet noise.
They have a 3 year old who likes to play quietly with cars during the day - and I can hear the tiny car wheels on the floor. There must be some vibrating travelling somehow.

The other concern is even if I can somehow prove that - how is it ever going to be fixed.

Thanks for getting back to me.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:54:38 am »
Sound could be getting through due to gaps in the floor for pipes not being filled.
This could have fire issues too.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.