'"> ');

Author Topic: Fractured roof truss  (Read 3621 times)

Rosypink

Fractured roof truss
« on: August 18, 2021, 04:11:48 pm »
We bought a new house at the end of May 2-21 and noticed the ceiling above the master bedroom seemed to have dropped slightly & cracked. We had a nosey around above the ceiling to see if we could identify any problems there (and actually there's an issue with the joist hangers & nails not being of the correct size).

Whilst in the roof we noticed that the main roof truss for the gable above the bedroom had fractured right through. We pointed it out to the builders some 6 weeks ago and they want to brace the truss rather than replace it, but as yet they haven't heard back from the roof frame manufacturers to see if this is even possible. In the meantime I've had a surveyor carry out a defects survey on the roof and he's found that "the standard of work to the roof structure is poor and not in accordance with LABC guidance & standards".

Apparently there's quite a lot wrong & he recommends replacing two trusses entirely plus additional works to the truss hangers, noggings, nails etc. I've registered a claim with the NHBC and they told me to complain to our local building control too - I tried that, but it turns out that the NHBC, as an approved contractor, carried out the building control inspections.

Is this a conflict of interest? Where do I go from here? Can I ask for a copy of the inspection sheets when they came to the property..? I just don't know what to do for the best, the thought of having the house ripped apart isn't great, but nor is having a house who's resale value will be severely affected if the works aren't carried out properly.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Fractured roof truss
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 05:27:18 am »
First rule of this forum is NAME THE BUILDER!
Reason being, it will give those browsing an insight of what to expect if thy buy a new home from them.
Only when reputations are shot and homes don't sell and profit fall will housebuilders be forced to change and build to the quality every new home buyer is conned into expecting to have their new home built to.

First of all you mention LABC standards.  LABC provide an alternative warranty to the NHBC Buildmark warranty.  I assume you mean Building Regulations as you also mention NHBC. It is true that Local Authorities traditionally did Building Control inspections (to ensure building regulations are complied with and met or exceeded) hence "LABC"  but this is rare these days.
It is true the NHBC also are permitted to carry out inspections for building control and it is usually the same inspector that also does the warranty inspections - often at the same time. 

Make no mistake, building regulations are a legal requirement. There should be any failure to meet the requirements it cannot be ignored.

You have damaged roof trusses which can be repaired using splints and fixings but these must be specified and designed by the truss manufacturer.  The fact that it took you, the buyer to notice the sagging ceiling and look for the cause tells you everything you need to know about your builder and I am not surprised you have now found more issues.

My advice is tell your solicitor to write tot eh housebuilder informing them you are not legally completing on this home until all defects have been rectified and re inspected.  You really must employ an professional snagging inspector to fully check this home as soon as the builder thinks it is finished.

This presumes you have exchange contracts. If you have not you would be well advised to cancel and buy elsewhere - even if you lose your reservation fee.  I can see you having lots of issues which could take many years to fix.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Rosypink

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 05:40:12 pm »
Thank you for the information & apologies for not naming the builder.
They're Bellway Homes. Quite honestly I expected better from them!
Unfortunately we've already completed but we didn't notice the sagging ceiling to start with as there was a delay in our moving in - the kitchen "island" was fitted at a wonky angle and as it included the sink, we didn't move in until we had running water in the kitchen. I will definitely look for an inspector experienced in finding snagging issues - although they cost a lot of money I think it will be money well spent in the long run!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:41:41 pm »
The cost of the snagging inspection varies depending on the size of the house (number of bedrooms)
It may also be cheaper if the inspector can do another inspection perhaps three in one day to make the travelling time and costs more cost effective too.

Whatever the cost it will most definitely be money well spent provided you choose a good firm like New Build Inspections or Snagging Inspections.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Kate123

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 03:57:24 pm »
I am just wondering is something a Homebuyer survey would pick up or would you have needed a Full building survey? RICS guidance for a New Build is Homebuyer survey for example.

I thought that a snagging survey was more for cosmetic issues? I had a Homebuyer Survey done but am seriously also considering a Snagging Survey before my 2 years is up. I do regret not having one now!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 11:53:30 am »
A professional snagging survey is for everything a through inspection to ensure that everything works properly and has been built to a fair (or good) standard and meets warranty standards and building regulations.

Post  occupation snagging inspections are not advised as many issues can be put down to occupier damage and contents may hide other defects too. Any work required could well be a huge hassle for you too.