'"> ');

Author Topic: Downstairs noise travelling through windows  (Read 14786 times)

MacedoI

Re: Downstairs noise travelling through windows
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 06:26:16 pm »
A bit of an update.
Barratt sending an ”accoustic engineer” over to do sound tests by next week.

They suggested that filling the frames with sand or accoustic/memory foam resolves the sound problem. Anyone has any experience with this? Would that work?

MacedoI

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:36 am »
Hi all,
Barratt are sending over someone from RBA Acoustics to perform the sound checks.
From what I’ve been reading the minimum values for sound insulation for airborne and impact noise are 45db and 62db respectively.

Apart from this is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? I’ll be present during the tests.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 05:39:04 am »
Collusion and fiddling! 
Try to make a note of the readings for each test at the time and compare with those that end up in the report.  Trust no one!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

MacedoI

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 06:16:48 pm »
So a couple of RBA Acoustics technicians came over last week to do the sound tests.
I witnessed the whole thing and their main focus was definitely the window area where I have most problems with.

I asked to measure the sound coming from tapping the frames. As a reminder one of the issues is that when someone taps their frames downstairs/upstairs I can hear that tap clearly. They’ve done that and said it’ll be added to the final report which I’m still awaiting for.

Question is though, after going through the Part E regs, I couldn’t find anything written  about this or flanking noise. Would this be measured as airborne noise?

I made it very clear that the fact I can hear the tapping Should be enough reason for remedial actions, however I’m not sure on what basis I can force Barratt to fix it if the tests come out OK.

I’ve been keeping NHBC up to speed with all this and hopefully they can help resolve any dispute I may have with Barratt.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 07:13:07 am »
Firstly, I hope Barratt do the right thing and sort this out for you.
Secondly the NHBC dispute resolution service only has around a 57% success rate for buyers.
This is why the statutory New Homes Ombudsman is needed.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

MacedoI

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
Thank you New Home Expert
Is the New Homes Ombudsman live already?
I've done a quick google and I couldn’t find it anywhere so I suspect it’s still being built.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 08:19:33 am »
Quick Google will reveal the extensive campaigning I have done over the last 5+ years.
Looks like some of my website articles are 2nd and 4th on page one in Google search now.

It was announced by James Brokenshire on 1st October 2019 and as yet NOTHING further has been done except a re announcement earlier this year.

It is government that is dragging its feet by not making time for this to go through the parliamentary process. At this rate, it will all have to start again with a Labour government, perhaps sooner than later!

You could write to James Brokenshire yourself and demand he gets a wiggle on!
james.brokenshire@communities.gsi.gov.uk

MacedoI

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 04:46:01 pm »
Thank you new home expert.
I’ll be writing that email very shortly.

As expected, the  RBA Acoustics report came through with a passing 52 decibel noise reduction (50 is the minimum).
No mention at all of the tapping issues I kept highlighting.
NHBC said they could help to resolve any disputes. Other that filing for dispute not sure what else I can do now since they are apparently compliant.

Perhaps get my own inspection being carried through but I wonder how can I get access of the downstairs premises.

Any advice?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 10:16:26 am »
NHBC dispute resolution only historically has a 57% success rate for buyers. NHBC now no longer publish the details every year.

However, use the process anyway, useful if you then need to go to court.

As for downstairs access for your own sound tests, all you have to do is ask.
If they refuse make lots of noise!

MacedoI

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »
So NHBC say they can’t help with the dispute since I have reported this to the builder outside of their warranty window of 2 years. I bought last year and was already outside of the window.

Then I asked them if they could then investigate it on its own right as there’s a legitimate problem. They came back saying their warranty covers structural problems only and since I suggested there’s a problem with the windows they say they aren’t liable.

What’s left for me to do then? Speak with a solicitor directly or get another acoustics company over to try and diagnose? Any ideas welcome.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 07:44:12 am »
So now, you finally state your home is outside the 2-year builder NHBC warranty period!
And it was when you bought it last year, that is you didn't buy from new.

Yet you said on 28 November 2018:
Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Ivo and I just purchased one apartment from Barratt Homes

So which is it? 
How can I be expected to give useful advice if I am not in possession of the full, correct facts?

The NHBC is correct in that they do not offer dispute resolution for anything reported after the first 2-years. They are also correct that the remaining 8 years warranty is for structural issues, but does cover windows and doors.  However, your windows are not defective causing damage just allowing noise transference so you are on your own.

You will have to pay for any remedial improvement and maintenance, just like any homeowner now.

MacedoI

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 12:45:03 pm »
Hi New Home Expert

Apologies for being misleading. I suppose it was all a bit confusing to me and I should have provided accurate information. I certainly didn’t want you to waste your time.

Thanks for the much useful help so far. It’s perfectly clear for me now where I stand with NHBC.