'"> ');

Author Topic: Downstairs noise travelling through windows  (Read 14787 times)

MacedoI

Downstairs noise travelling through windows
« on: November 28, 2018, 04:58:01 pm »
Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Ivo and I just purchased one apartment from Barratt Homes.

Secondly apologies in advance if this is not the right section on the forum to post this.

We moved in less than a month ago and we’ve noticed that we can hear downstairs conversations. Not every word but murmurs. Same with music. We don't think the downstairs neighbours are loud at all, we suspect something else might be wrong.

Surprisingly, the sound seems to be coming from the windows or it's frames.
Ah, worth mentioning that this is happening mainly in the  living room where most of the walls are basically either windows/balcony or glass.

We asked around and few people claim they are experiencing the same thing. One of them actually mentioned that Barratt filled up the frames of his flat with sand?!
Anyway the development is relatively new so someone from Barratt is coming over tomorrow.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and whether or not the developer manage to help at all.

Cheers,
Ivo

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Downstairs noise travelling through windows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:41:59 am »
I've never heard of filling presumably PVCu frames with sand!

I think what you have is "flanking" sound. 
If you are living in a timber frame block fire-stopping (fire socks) around every frame and horizontally, both sides of each floor level are required, not just for sound, but for fire.

I suspect there are gaps in this or it is missing or has fallen away.

If the block is traditional masonry brick and block inner skin, it would need to have cavity insulation to meet standards. again this should help with sound insulation but could be missing on the mainly window wall.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

MacedoI

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:39:53 am »
Hi. Thanks for the feedback.
The frames are not pvc but metal. And the frames are hollow.
Someone from Barratt came over and he pointed out that metal frames can be less efficient when it comes to block noise. They said they will look into it.

I don't think this is timber block. It's a pretty much standard brick block.

You are probably right re the problem being about flanking sound travelling to the flat. Also, when we hear it, most of the times if you go to the balcony you most likely not hear anything, just inside.

Would you say it's easy to determine whether or not there are gaps or insulation missing on the window frames?

It's still under the NHBC warranty and the developer representative is coming over today to evaluate the situation. Not sure how he'll do that - there'll be no noise if there's nobody downstairs.

In any case it's just odd and we are a bit afraid they just won't fix it.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:24:23 am »
You could have an air tightness test and also an acoustic test carried out to determine where the fault lies.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

MacedoI

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:55:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
Should I get Barratt to run these tests or can I get them don via a third party company?
In which case any recommendations are welcome.

MacedoI

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:16:59 pm »
Still waiting for Barratt to send over engineers to evaluate the situation and do tests.
Should I get in touch with NHBC so they know about it?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:03:04 am »
It is always a good idea.
Say you are still waiting for Barratt to act and copy the letter to Barratt.

MacedoI

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:21:51 pm »
Thank you.
Fortunately few hours after my post they came back to me with a plan of action.
A contractor is coming over tomorrow to diagnose the situation. Not sure what that means exactly but I’ll wait and see.

MacedoI

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 08:44:25 am »
Good morning.
So couple of Barratt representatives came over. One of them I believe was/is part of the building’s engineering team.
They were quite quick to diagnose the problem. My apartment’s window frames are somehow "shared" with my neighbours. Meaning the framing starts with the floor below and end with the flat above. I think this setup is fairly common.

In any case they said that the installation could be faulty and no noise should be travelling up or down. Finally they said sometime this week they’ll get back to me with a resolution which is likely to be done from the outside of the apartment.
As it was another company installing the windows. which is likely to be the one to take action.

Not sure what to make of all this to be honest. I suppose I’ll wait for their update this week.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 09:09:07 am »
That is good news.
Acknowledged the problem and given you and undertaking to do something about it.

MacedoI

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 06:05:13 pm »
A bit of an update:
MPrice (the window contractor) came over to inspect the flat and windows.
It was nothing more than a formality as they quickly released a report stating the windows were installed "as per the spec". As far as they’re concerned they have no liability.
Meaning Barratt are are still dealing with it and I was promised an update this week.

To reiterate here’ are the main problems:
I can hear loud conversations through the frames even though I can't do it on the balcony.
If the upstairs/downstairs neighbour so much opens/closes the windows (they are quite sturdy) I can hear it
If the upstairs neighbour bumps into the frame with the vacuum cleaner whilst vacuuming I can hear it

First point is the most annoying. Second and third points are just inconveniences.

At this point and if I don't get answers  this week I was considering bringing this up to NHBC.
I thought about involving a solicitor but perhaps that’s a bit precocious for the time being.

Any  Other advice?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 10:36:55 am »
I would involve the NHBC straight away and get a solicitor involved too.
If the NHBC get a whiff of this going legal, they may be more sympathetic to getting Barratt to fix the issue.

It would seem it won't be just your property but the same problem will be elsewhere too costing those involved Barratt/NHBC/Window company money to rectify.

MacedoI

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 11:13:23 am »
Thank you for your answers - much appreciated.
They are sending another engineer next week but I’ll ring NHBC in the meantime.
The main reason behind not involving a solicitor so far is that might be misconstrued as "threatening" which is something I’d like to avoid.

You are quite right - this is affecting other apartments. Once I brought it up other people confirmed they experience similar problems. However noise is relative. Some people might just get used to it, specially if you are a tenant and can't be bothered. But definitely there’s been similar complaints.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 05:40:02 am »
Do you think you will get anywhere without threatening?
"the squeaky wheel gets the oil!"

MacedoI

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 10:38:10 am »
Thanks - never heard that one before but it makes sense.
Another engineer came over today representing Barratt. He brought paperwork that allegedly proves that airborne sound checks were done across the development and they are NHBC/uk law compliant.
As far as he’s aware the tests are done and passed. Think the limit is like 74db or something like that. Not sure if they test for flanking noise too - should have asked him that.

Nevertheless he mentioned he’s willing to come over again and get access to the flat below mine so he could do few tests on his own.
He also mentioned that if they ever had to fix it, the resolution would be fill up the metal window frames with sand or some sort of memory foam. He said that normally helps.

So now I’m waiting for NHBC to come back to me but can’t help but wonder why aren’t those frames filled to begin with.