'"> ');

Author Topic: No Dropped Kerb into Driveway  (Read 2636 times)

Squash

No Dropped Kerb into Driveway
« on: July 07, 2022, 04:25:36 pm »
Hi all, first post here.

I have bought a new build in the last year that I am generally happy with, however there is one ongoing issue that I was hoping to get some other opinions about.

The kerb leading into our driveway has not been dropped. I queried this with the developer and they state that as the road is going to be raised in this section, the kerb will not need any drop. I believe according to the plans that there will be some form of long speed control measure on this section of road spanning the length of a couple of houses.

My worry is that without a dropped kerb, will my driveway be at risk of losing proper definition of a driveway? Pictures attached.

Really appreciate any advice, thanks!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: No Dropped Kerb into Driveway
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 12:47:34 pm »
What you will have eventually is what is known as a "table-top" traffic calming using brick paviours.
So when everything is completed, the drop from the kerb as it is to the finished road surface would be around 25mm, not as it currently is.

What needs to happen in the meantime is some form of temporary tarmac ramp at the kerb to your driveway so you can use your drive without damaging your car.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Squash

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 01:16:58 pm »
Thanks for the info, that's good to know. They've slumped the bare minimum of tarmac down and I've eased the harshness of the bump further with some mud and gravel.

With the absence of a dropped kerb, in this case where it isn't needed as the road will be raised instead, is it still formally considered a driveway with rights to drive over the footway? Would parking roadside in front of the driveway still be considered illegal in this scenario, as it would be if there were a dropped kerb?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 10:28:16 am »
Not sure about parking on the Tabletop itself, but if it isn't narrower and does not have yellow lines or parking restrictions, parking should be OK as any other parking on the highway is.

And I can say that the crossover still applies to the footpath at your driveway and your solicitor should have mentioned this to you, if it is NOT the case.  Best get them to put your mind at ease and confirm in writing so you can sue them later if necessary.

Tarmac and loose stone and mud?  That won't last the first rain day!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.