Author Topic: Cracked Redrow home-all Warwick's?  (Read 341 times)

mike306

Cracked Redrow home-all Warwick's?
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:00:48 pm »
My 4-year old Redrow home has a large crack in the side, as do nine other houses of the same design on our estate.  I believe the same house design (the Warwick) is still being built across the country within new Redrow developments and after checking one other development, 2 of the 3 there also had the same crack in the same place so there is a very good chance all Warwick's of this design across the country have this issue as it seems like a serious design flaw.

I have been fobbed off by the NHBC saying it is just thermal expansion and it seems Redrow (who class themselves as a premium home builder) are also not interested according to the reply I've had from the regional director today after trying to pursue this and find out how concerned they are about their reputation. 

The crack is getting worse and goes through the blockwork behind.  The brickwork below the render has also cracked and I have lots of cracks inside the house around the same place despite having recently filled them all.

Any advice before I pay a structural engineer to write a report to try to challenge the NHBC report?

mike306

Re: Cracked Redrow home-all Warwick's?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:14:13 pm »
More pics of the issue to show the brickwork and the visible crack in the block work behind-above the corner of the window:

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 02:11:56 pm »
The NHBC can say "it's just thermal"  but it is a structural crack that should never have occurred.
I also find in hard to believe that no one at Redrow is bothered to look into how this is happening at multiple sites too.  Clearly the cause goes beyond a rogue tradesman or contractor.

I expect a movement joint has not been included on the construction drawings and this would be what you should try to get hold of.

I am appalled the NHBC continue to try and fob off new home owners who have genuine and serious defects in their homes. Shame on you!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

mike306

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 11:55:13 pm »
It's pretty rubbish hey.  I have contacted some surveyors to get an independent report carried out. I suppose Redrow might be (rightly) worried about the cost of putting all the affected homes right?

The NHBC inspector confirmed on his visit that there was no movement joint, that there should be one and that this was in contravention of the building guidelines or something like that... But he shrugged his shoulders and said that either way, the repair would probably not make it over the £1,650 threshhold-mainly due to the fact that they would do a bodge repair by the sound of it!!

I am at a loss what to do and why Redrow Homs will not look into this.

mike306

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 11:47:57 pm »
I had another look today...

Curious to see how deep the crack went I ran out of measuring device at 6 inches...  I've emailed the NHBC back and asked them to explain how they think my home is still weathertight and protected from damp.... I take it I am likely to have issues with damp due to this?

Maxell

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 10:04:39 pm »
I think smaller companies can be quicker to learn from a mistake. Reports of this happening will trickle back but it would need to go through several departments before an amended drawing was issued.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:27:52 am »
It wouldn't cost too much to cut in a movement joint and take out and re build the cracked blockwork.
Maybe the blockwork is not the correct specification too?

The NHBC minimum claim value clause is a bit of a slap in the face for something like this.
Nevertheless get the NHBC to do it and you pay if it is less than the £1,650.
It cannot be ignored.
Until it is investigated properly no one can know the cost of any remedial works.

As for Redrow not amending a working drawing which has an omission that potentially, could cost shareholders hundreds of thousands of pounds  in remedial works and damaged reputation it beggars belief it would take any longer than a few days, assuming the various Redrow regions actually communicate with each other on product improvement and feedback!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

William1974

• Bank Opening Times
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 11:36:10 am »

Curious to see how deep the crack went I ran out of measuring device at 6 inches...  I've emailed the NHBC back and asked them to explain how they think my home is still weathertight and protected from damp.... I take it I am likely to have issues with damp due to this?

Did you receive any response from them? If so, what did they say?

mike306

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:24:22 pm »

Did you receive any response from them? If so, what did they say?

Nope nothing.  I am baffled at this NHE - as you say this could potentially make for a great/terrible story and be very damaging for Redrow Homes and their share value. If I were in their shoes I would want to sort this issue before it grows!

Hopefully I will get the surveyor booked in soon. Some of the other owners with cracked Warwick's say they would like to share the cost of getting an independent report so that feels like good news. They were pretty concerned after seeing how bad mine is getting.

NHE I was under the impression the NHBC would not touch it if they do not want to/minimum claim limit etc but I'll ask if they can't organise/carry out the work anyway as you suggest and see what the cost ends up as.

mike306

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 10:30:26 pm »
"Until it is investigated properly no one can know the cost of any remedial works"

Problem is NHE - neither Redrow or the NHBC seem willing to investigate properly. I wish they would!!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 11:00:06 am »
It is the first line of response - no response.  Next is dismiss, after than they divert to someone else responsibility or negate.

mike306

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 07:36:05 pm »
I have pushed the NHBC further and also asked them to explain how my home can still be weathertight with such a deep crack but they have not addressed this question and again repeated that it is below the minimum claim limit to repair. And also that they look forward to hearing from me after I have an independent report. Perhaps they think I am bluffing here? 

I have a reputable local surveyor booked in for the 9th of November. They have estimated 5hrs of work and a written report at £800+vat.  I could do without this before Christmas but I feel it must be done!

Some other residents with the same style house and cracks said they are willing to split the cost, so we'll see how that pans out. At the moment there are 4 of us. Six others with cracks have not yet responded....

Does the estimate sound about right?

Thanks

Mike

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 04:09:49 pm »
The surveyors charges vary. But you may get it cheaper if he does three or four homes in the one day.
Your neighbours wont be able to use your report for their claim.

Regarding the NHBC, they would claim it is weathertight if no water is getting in.  Any sane person will know that with a crack like that it is only a matter of time.  It would give them more credence, if they properly investigated and estimate the remedial  cost rather than just employing kids that don't know anything to refute all claims out of hand!

Please write to them and tell them in the event of works being required you expect the NHBC to reimburse the costs of the inspection and report

mike306

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:57:40 pm »
Thanks NHE,
With regard to water getting in I agree it is only a matter of time and surely the cost of repair would then go up and cost them more to sort out once it clears the minimum claim threshold?

The investigator was certainly not a young kid, but also was very dismissive/casual in attitude about that issue.

So even if all the houses are of the same design the report will be of no use to my neighbours? How come sorry?

They previously replied to me that they would not pay for any reports or investigation unless this proved their report to be incorrect. Which I am hoping it does!  If after that they refuse to take action I am planning to go to the financial ombudsman as I think this may be my last remaining option?

Mike

mike306

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 10:04:27 pm »
... just to add about the investigator... They were of a quite mature age but the problem was more that they have me the impression that they had zero intention of doing anything whatsoever about the issue before they even looked at it and were doing so because they had to be seen to be "investigating".  Can you really understand such an issue and it's root cause/causal factors from a 5 minute poke about??