'"> ');

Author Topic: concrete garage floor not sealed  (Read 4475 times)

Tim McG

concrete garage floor not sealed
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:11:56 pm »
Moved into our new build a few months ago and the garage floor has not been sealed by the builder so the concrete is constantly dusting. The show home garage was painted and shiny so assume ours would be the same. I have asked them to seal it using concrete sealant to stop the dusting but they seem reluctant to do this. Should I be concerned about the dust? Will it contain silica and can this be harmful to children if breathed in? Is there any building regulation about concrete garage floors? Are they meant to seal it?

Sick-of-it

Re: concrete garage floor not sealed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:03:37 pm »
I honestly think you will have to do this yourself - you will find no piece of paper saying they will seal that floor.

Most garages are not sealed - it’s easy to do it yourself.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Matron

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:24:13 am »
My husband did ours. It took a few days but it wasn’t a problem

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:29:58 pm »
This isn't an issue.
Easy to get some red, grey or blue concrete floor paint from B&Q or Brewers and do it yourself with a roller in a day.

Over a lifetime, silica dust can cause breathing problems but I doubt you or your children could be sufficiently affected unless you and underlying conditions such as asthma.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.