'"> ');

Author Topic: Builder has forgotten some of my windows  (Read 8729 times)

Wozwoz

Builder has forgotten some of my windows
« on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:55 pm »
Just wondering if anyone can give any advice, any help appreciated.

I am a first time buyer who has bought a new build by myself. I have exchanged contracts and due to complete in about five weeks. The house was meant to be ready in March but has already been delayed.

I have now received a phone call from my contact at the builder to say that basically they have messed up and my house is missing two windows at the side of house. One is in the bathroom so no window at all there and the second is a small window in the living room. I will still have the light from the patio doors. I am particularly devastated about the bathroom.

They have told me at this stage there is nothing that can be done to rectify this. I have said I am obviously very unhappy and they are going to call me back on Monday. From what she said it sounds like my house is not the only one affected by this error on the development.

I am feeling very stressed and can’t speak to my solicitor until Monday now. Does anyone know where I stand with this? Is that not something that could be rectified?

Thanks for any advice.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Builder has forgotten some of my windows
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:44:31 am »
First of all name the housebuilder!

I expect the drawings used were for the terraced versions where these windows would indeed be impossible.

But you have not been given what you were told you are buying and this is not right.
It is perfectly possible to add the missing windows, so the "nothing can be done" comment is factually incorrect!

All that is required would be for scaffold to be erected, and the openings cut with lintels and windows fitted and decoration reinstated. It would be a lot of work for the housebuilder at this stage and cost quite a bit.

Please consider that people would be less likely to buy a home with no bathroom window!
You will also have problems with condensation, possibly mould, even with an extractor fan.

The "error" also demonstrates a lack of attention to detail, something you should also be concerned about. Please get your new home professionally snagged and inspected before you legally complete.
I recommend Tim Fee 07768 900200  from Snagging Inspections.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Wozwoz

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »
Thank you for your reply, I was thinking that it should be possible to rectify but as you say costly for the builder. They are definitely falling behind on this site with lots of delays.

I was informed yesterday that the issue had been passed on to the sales director and will be discussed by the board of directors to decide what to do. I am really shocked that they are even considering this and would have thought they would rectify their mistake straight away! I also can’t believe this happened in the first place as you would think someone would be checking all this off.

As you say I’m sure this would make the house harder to sell and I am now concerned about the standard of the rest of the work in the house.

I might name them later...

Thanks again.

Matron

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:20:26 am »
I’m not an expert like some on this forum but I did buy a new build home almost 2 years ago with my husband. If we had been in that situation we would have spoken to our solicitor and pulled out of the sale. Like you I would have been worried about the standard of workmanship in the rest of the house. I’m sure legally you would be able to get your deposit returned. I only hope you didn’t use a solicitor recommended by the builder. Good luck.

Wozwoz

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 04:17:28 pm »
Thanks. I did use an independent solicitor rather than one they recommended.
I’ll see what solution they come back with then I will speak to my solicitor.