'"> ');

Author Topic: Brickwork Query - bricks not tied in  (Read 6744 times)

GeorgelizNA

Brickwork Query - bricks not tied in
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:14:32 pm »
Good evening,

Whilst investigating another issue, I've found a gap in the brickwork (see attached image).

Image attached shows party wall in loft space between mine and neighbours property. Appears external bricks have not been tied into internal blocks and the gap then stuffed with insulation.

Is this acceptable? Any advice would be great as I'm currently generating a list of failings to go into NHBC

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Brickwork Query - bricks not tied in
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:02 am »
It's not the best of pictures!  Might even be upside down!

But, the bricks should meet the adjacent wall and it is best practice to bond in  or use ties.
Most importantly, the wall must have integrity for fire.  OK so the crammed in cavity fire sock may or may not work and it is highly likely that smoke will get through into your home/roofspace.
That said ,the other side of the cavity party wall may have continuous masonry?
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

GeorgelizNA

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:44:56 pm »
New Home Expert thanks for your quick reply. I've attached another images to hopefully show where the picture was taken.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:23:25 am »
As I said, it should be brick or block not a gap filled with fire socks crammed in.
Ask NHBC to inspect as they must have "passed" it on final inspection?
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.