'"> ');

Author Topic: Brickwork on a new home  (Read 13680 times)

Larwood32

Re: Brickwork on a new home
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »
NHBC  Not interested see below - still waiting for my solicitor to get back to me, if I havent got an  answer by tomorrow I will tell her about the law society  and reporting her.  Many thanks

"In line with your NHBC insurance policy, unfortunately we are unable to assist until the sale of your property has completed. At this stage we would then be able to raise the issue with Bloor Homes where tinting, or replacement bricks would be required. I appreciate your comments below regarding tinting however I feel it is necessary to manage your expectations now as you are within a crucial stage within the sales process. As a warranty and insurance provider the NHBC are unable to enforce that the bricks are replaced while the property is being constructed and our Building Inspections role at this stage would be to ensure the property is structurally sound. With that being said I have contacted our Building Inspection department to query if this has been noted on our records.

Unfortunately we are unable to assist any further at present, however rest assured, should you complete on the property and consistent finish would be  required by Bloor Homes."

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 06:37:46 am »
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 06:44:51 am »
I am amazed by the NHBC's response. 
Now is the perfect time to deal with this, not after you have moved in.
Why should you have to suffer noise and scaffold  and mess?
The NHBC mission statement is "Raising Standards" and Protecting Homeowners" perhaps you should remind them of this.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Larwood32

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:04 am »
I can't thank you enough for all your help.  I have replied to them with what you say and see what I get back.  I have dealt with NHBC a few years ago and they were hopeless.

When I go to see the site foreman on Monday I am going to show him all those comments on twitter and on here if you don't mind and see what he says.

Still waiting for my solicitor to reply, if not by Friday I will email her about the law society.

Many Thanks again

Larwood32

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 06:10:15 pm »
Busy day this is what NHBC said after replying:

The NHBC do not have the authority to tell the builder to make changes unless there is a structural issue with the brickwork. I have passed the information, and the photographs to our inspection team already and await their response.

As detailed in our previous email, as you have not completed the sale and you do not legally own the property your NHBC warranty is not yet active so we can only review this from a building control perspective.

I will advise accordingly once we receive a response from the relevant department."

Then I got a reply from my solicitor via a reply from them to her they also sent a pdf file which I have sent a link 

https://www.ibstockbrick.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/TIS-B16-DISCOLOURATION-OF-MASONRY-DUE-TO-SATURATION-2.pdf

reply:

As discussed please find attached technical guidance which Richard has obtained from Martin Smith who works for Ibstock (brick manufacturer).

I’ve seen this on a number of plots on Gedling built in the Ibstock Arden Weather Red brick but it disappears when the brick has dried out. It’s just down to the porosity of the brick.

I’ve spoken to Richard and we should be brick cleaning the plot hopefully this week which will improve the overall appearance, but this will not alter the fact that the brickwork will still have to dry out!

If the customer is still not satisfied then I’m sure Martin will be more than happy to meet with him and Richard on site to provide him with some reassurance and if necessary take moisture readings to confirm.

and I can say I have requested to meet them on site date to be confirmed. See what comes of it still not convinced and will let you know how I got on  Thanks again

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 05:40:59 am »
When I go to see the site foreman on Monday I am going to show him all those comments on twitter and on here if you don't mind and see what he says.

I wouldn't be pointing them to this thread at all.  I am advising you, the last thing you need is them to know what your intentions are.

By all means let them see the Twitter thread as it is, quite rightly, a huge embarrassment for them.

Larwood32

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 07:53:07 am »
No worries I won't  show them this, what do you think to that leaflet.
The thing is I don't get, why didn't they say this could happen with this brick at the start, but they say nothing.
I let you know how I get on thanks again