'"> ');

Author Topic: Being refused home tour & opportunity to inspect property before completion  (Read 11291 times)

WindUpMagpie

We're approaching the time for completion with Stone Bridge on our new build property. Premier Guarantee are due to inspect the property mid December '16 and we were scheduled for a "home tour" the following day, which we wanted to use as an opportunity to 'snag' the build.

The developer has since cancelled this "home tour", citing that no "home tours" will be taking place in the lead up to Christmas (and the end of their financial year) and is insisting that we complete without being given the opportunity to assess the build.

We're obviously very unhappy and uncomfortable with doing this and was wondering where we stand with regards to holding out on legal completion until we've been given the opportunity to 'snag' the build ourselves? We're using the solicitor "recommended" by the developer, and when we said to the developer that we wouldn't complete until given the opportunity to view the property they stated that our solicitor works for them.

Any advice much appreciated.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
You have made two common and critical mistakes
1) You bought a home due for completion near or at a housebuilder's year-end.
2) Even worse you have used their choice or pet solicitor and have probably lost all control of the legal completion process.

My advice would be to:
1) WRITE to "your" solicitor and tell him NOT to legally complete without your express written authorisation. If he does not do this (or refuses to) you should tell him you will report the firm to the Law Society for conflict of interest. Especially as the builder has indicated that your solicitor works for them!
2) Do not legally complete until you have had your home independently professionally snagged and inspected.
I suggest Tim Fee at Snagging Inspections 07768 900200 Call him today as he will get busy this month!

The housebuilder Stonebridge homes isn't a huge plc and should not be being unreasonable and dictating to their buyers.
It is this that is wrong with this industry and until people like you stand firm and say you are not legally completing without first (at the very least) seeing what you are buying.  The APPG Inquiry Into the Quality of New Homes , which I attended and made an oral and written presentations to, made ten recommendations:
"Recommendation 3
There should be a mandatory right (which could be introduced by the inclusion of suitable provisions in the standard form contract) for buyers to inspect and, should they wish carry, out a full survey of their property prior to financial completion. We suggest that they be given 10 days’ notice by the builder of when their property can be inspected. If after the inspection the buyer/ surveyor deemed that the property is not capable of occupation, the final financial completion can be delayed."

This was one of four of my suggestions that became recommendations. I currently have a Government Petition which you and everyone should sign! https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/167660
Just because someone from Premier Guarantee signs a piece of paper saying the home is "completed" for CML purposes, it doesn't mean (especially at this time of year)  it is 100% complete for you to move in!

Oh and also you should have bought a new home that had an NHBC warranty.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

ricky

Great advice! We made the same two mistakes. Everyone should heed this warning!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Everyone should heed a whole lot of warnings and advice I have provided but most never do!

People are still reserving Bovis homes despite all the bad press about homes not being ready, defects and terrible customer care. Ditto for Persimmon.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.