'"> ');

Author Topic: Being blamed for snags  (Read 5961 times)

Anglo_Saxon

Being blamed for snags
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:32:46 am »
First of all I am so glad a forum such as this exists. It’s like gold dust reading through all the other topics and responses. I am learning so much!

We completed on our first home (new build) two weeks ago.

Our issue is about defective doors. All doors catch on the bottom sill and require a lot of force to lift upwards from the handle and close.

This was identified in our professional snagging report. However, a week on into our ownership there was no resolution. In our second week we were sent someone who would fix the problem. Instead of fixing it he blamed us. He said that we had introduced defects by “tampering” with the hinges. He said the hinges were of different make and brand. That he worked on the house and that was not his work. I got the impression he didn’t want to be canned by his manager. His manager said he would go away and have a think about it.

I thought snagging would have been a simple process of yes we can fix that or no we cannot fix that - the no being something like tearing the house down to correct something minor.

Any help or advice appreciated.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Being blamed for snags
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 08:31:04 am »
First of all who is the housebuilder.

Secondly, I assume you are talking about front and back external doors as internal doors don't have a "bottom sill" other than a carpet gripper.

Quiet how they could accuse you of changing hinges is beyond be.
It is very simple to adjust hinges to raise the door or at the worst, take the door off and plane the bottom (if it is not uPVC)

The fact it was picked up by your snagger also means it should have and could have been sorted out before you moved in.

I have no idea why they are making such a fuss and resistance against something so simple to sort out.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Anglo_Saxon

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 05:53:50 pm »
it’s Redrow homes.

Yes external doors.

I checked the paperwork and the doors and windows are covered by a 2 year warranty.

I have raised it with head office. Let’s see what they come back with.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:09:45 am »
The whole house is covered by the NHBC 10-year warranty and under the warranty, Redrow are responsible for fixing any defects in the first two years.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.