'"> ');

Author Topic: bathroom not been tanked? from what i can see  (Read 2285 times)

il638

bathroom not been tanked? from what i can see
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:19:27 am »
I am after some advice.
Just over 3 years into my new build home that I got keys for in October 2018

Rearranged the second room to separate kids off and moved bed to find skirting board wet rotten and a bit of mould which I could clean off.

This is on the wall back to back to the tiled bathroom wall.

So took off bath panel and sprayed everywhere with water to trace narrowed down to two tiles in the corner that are moving and grout cracked between them

Looked a little deeper and found as of 2018 it was mandatory for bathrooms to be tanked, doesn't appear mine is.

Also noticed the tiling had been done and then bath fitted, so not correct way there either as tiles leak floor etc getting wet.

Just wondered if there's anything I can do to get developer to sort this or am I too late?

I've looked around corners under bath and it looks like I've just got blue moisture resistant plasterboard with normal brown plaster over top.

Surely if tanked this wouldn't have gone through to the room behind on skirting area?
The wall itself is completely dry just the skirting and floor it seems.

Would NHBC help if builder won't? is there a way I can confirm they are against building standards, or is it take it on chin and rip all out and do again properly myself. Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: bathroom not been tanked? from what i can see
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:13:43 am »
From what you have said, I would suggest you have a leak somewhere. Considering the tiling was completed before the bath was fitted it is likely the gap between the bath and the wall is letting water past as any silicone could have come away.

No the housebuilder wont do anything at all about this after the 2 years are up.
And Yes the NHBC won't help you either as it is not a structural defect, although you could try making a warranty claim it is likely the value of the claim would be less than the NHBC minimum claim value anyway.
However, it could be that your floor joists are affected and this would be structural and it needs checking as the water leak has been going on for years.

You may even be able to make a claim on your home insurance for the leak once identified.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.