'"> ');

Author Topic: Barratt Homes - No snagging before completion policy  (Read 9679 times)

robato

Barratt Homes - No snagging before completion policy
« on: April 22, 2019, 12:59:21 pm »
We reserved with Barratt Homes where the home is build complete, just needs flooring.
On viewing the property, we spotted a couple of minor defects (tiling/window) and mentioned this to the sales advisor and suggested I'd like to get a professional snagging survey done after exchange of contracts.

However, they said:
1) As policy, they don't allow snagging post-exchange, only post-completion.
2) They ranted about being a 5* builder. They suggested we save our money and do it ourselves as we have 2 years warranty on everything and they're happy to do extra things like painting over scuffs after moving in.

Actually, I trust they will do a decent job and will follow up on problems. But I just want someone else to de-snag while the home is still empty as we have a newborn and wanted to minimise disruption post-move.

Did anyone else come across this no-snagging before completion "policy" from Barratt Homes?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Barratt Homes - No snagging before completion policy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:01:25 am »
Firstly the 5 star rating is somewhat meaningless and can and is manipulated. All that is needed is to give "service" to customers until after they have sent the survey back with a "yes" to Question 1.

Insist on a Professional Snagging Inspection before legal completion.
You will not save money by doing it yourself as you will miss most things.
Your home is build complete, so why should they object. It is not company policy but that is what plc housebuilders staff often quote. 
Get in touch with CEO Dave Thomas at their head office and tell him what the site sales are telling you.

The last thing you want are their workmen in your home, working around your furniture, with dust everywhere!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:04:53 am »
This is a Barratt site in Looe, Cornwall finished around 4 years ago!
The homes are being taken apart for serious structural remedials works. Some of the owners have been in temporary homes for over a year!

Get a professional to snag yours!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Repton buyer

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:50:58 am »
Had the same from Taylor Wimpey.

Put request in writing myself to sales team who said to go via legal teams, our solicitor requested via their solicitor who said it was down to site.... site manager said no.

Still chasing and not letting it go.

BristolBristol

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 02:19:46 pm »
I have just had a conversation with NHBC and they confirmed that they do not visit every property that they sign off and they never sign off properties fully free of defects to cover their own backs. 

I am living in a block of flats built by Barratts in 2005.  Unfortunately we are only now realising all of the problems with the build and NHBC or anyone else for that matter isnt interested in what the issues are. 

There is no insulation in the entire sloping sections of the roof.  I wouldnt be surprised if there wasnt any insulation on the flat roof as well.
There is no DPM between the timber earth retaining walls and the soil.  Meaning that all the walls are rotten and falling down.
No guttering installed around the bay windows.
Lead used as fascia, which is too heavy. Slips down so people on the top floor cant opne their windows

The list goes on....

Barratt Homes build quality is truly shocking.