'"> ');

Author Topic: Are creaky/squeaky floors/stairs classed as snags?  (Read 14241 times)

mbm2672

Are creaky/squeaky floors/stairs classed as snags?
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »
We recently moved into a new build house, generally we are very happy with it.
However I have noticed a few of the stairs creak and there are areas in most of the upstairs rooms/landing etc that have areas that creak/squeak when walked over.

Now so far our builder is saying this is normal behaviour there isn't anything they can do as the floors are wooden not concrete, is the correct or am i being over fussy?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Are creaky/squeaky floors/stairs classed as snags?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:31:35 am »
First of all WHO IS THE HOUSEBUILDER?

I get really fed up with people posting expecting advice yet they fail to name the housebuilder that is clearly brushing them off and avoiding their warranty liabilities, having failed to build the home to the required standards in the first place!
The public needs to know and be aware of these rogue housebuilders!

The staircase has not been glued and screwed. You probably have kite winders or a half landing and/or a bullnose bottom stair all of which are loose and fixed together on site.  half landings should be supported to the ground.

Regarding the wooden flooring, it is not "normal" for it to creak and squeak.
It does this because the floor boarding is moving up and down on the fixings (hopefully screws) because the joists are deflecting too much which can be for a variety of reasons.

Don't accept anything you are not happy with and tell the housebuilder (whoever they!) are if they refuse to act you will escalate it to the warranty provider.

Finally search "creaky floors" "squeaky floors"  "floor joists" using the search box on this forum and read the many posts and my replies.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

mbm2672

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:18:29 am »
Thank you for your reply, apologies for not naming the builder, we are still discussing the flooring with them so didn't want to name and shame them at this point.

I was just asking for advice really as I wasn't sure if I was being overly fussy as for example it's only the first two stairs then creak, there are area's in the bedrooms that creak, not really loud more of a annoyance.  The builders are suggesting this is movement and will often settle down (I can't see what happening)

Thanks   

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 10:13:00 am »
"It will settle down" what housebuilders use to avoid doing anything about clear and obvious defects and signs of a defect.  You will be told soon "its within tolerance" too!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Quality Enthusiast

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 06:11:33 am »
I’d keep pursuing this.
Squeaking floors have been common on new homes for a number of years now and something the major builders have spent millions building.
The warranty providers are also OK at getting this sort of thing fixed using their resolution services (although it is getting harder to get them to help with other items) so it would be worth reporting it to them.

If it’s NHBC the threat of a £150 charge for a resolution meeting might be enough to get your builder moving in the right direction.

mbm2672

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 01:22:26 pm »
Thanks for the comments, I think I just worry that perhaps I'm being overly fussy and wasting people's time, I am with LABC , not sure how they compare to NHBC

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:52:13 am »
Well in my opinion LABC are rubbish, for a start you have to pay the first £1,500 of any claim as an excess like car insurance. Basically it means you never claim. NHBC has a minimum claim value above which it will pay all costs for remedial works but under this (a value determined by them) it declines claims under the warranty.

Your best hope is to get the housebuilder to do any works before the 2-year period is up.
LABC make hard work of any attempt top claim.

At the end of the day, if you can put up with the noise then do so but don't because you feel you are wasting anyone's time. Unlike me, they are being paid to do a job, which it appears has not been done properly!