'"> ');

Author Topic: Advice on draughts & outside noise leakage - Bovis Spruce Detached  (Read 6894 times)

BrandonDan

I moved into a detached house built by Bovis Homes in June 2020.

Ever since moving in I have noticed that outside noise is very loud, cars from adjacent main road walkers passing by etc sounds like my window is wide open when they are actually closed - trickle vents make little to no difference.

I have family and friends that live in detached houses and as soon as the window is closed there is zero noise coming through. The reason for buying a detached house is to avoid any noise issues.

Recently with the cold weather I have noticed the kitchen & hallway bring extremely cold in comparison to the rest of the house - there is also definitely draughts coming in through windows and doors.

It was my understanding that all new builds have an air pressure test which is why I thought it couldn't be to do with the windows & doors but the more I speak to people about this the more I realise it is more than likely the case.

Not sure if related but I also have mould issues in the en-suite & window adjacent to it.

I am looking for some advice on where to go with this & how I could prove there is an issue or even if I have to prove anything. This is my first house and I don't really know what to look for & how everything works.

Thank you all in advance

Maxell

Re: Advice on draughts & outside noise leakage - Bovis Spruce Detached
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 07:50:22 am »
The windows and doors may need adjusting to pull them in closer to the frames.  Your builder should be able to arrange this .
The air test is only valid for that moment it passes.  Often areas are taped up and mastics are put under the skirting. Once is passes they are removed. 

BrandonDan

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:57:12 pm »
The windows and doors may need adjusting to pull them in closer to the frames.  Your builder should be able to arrange this .
The air test is only valid for that moment it passes.  Often areas are taped up and mastics are put under the skirting. Once is passes they are removed. 

Thank you for your reply Maxwell, I have now had gone around with a thermal camera, could this still be the issue?

Maxell

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:51:59 am »
It would be difficult to pinpoint noise ingress. I would try to be methodical in your approach. 
Is your neighbours the same or better? 
Is your the same all over or in specific rooms or elevations ? Through wall extractor fans and trickle vents do let some noise in.

If temps are lower in the kitchen & hall check the heating system first . Mould in the en suite is often poor ventilation, check your extractor has a 15 - 30 min timer over run and after a shower the door should be closed .

A clip on thermal camera is no substitute for a thermal survey but they are a useful tool to give an indication of where to look.

BrandonDan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:05:48 am »
It would be difficult to pinpoint noise ingress . I would try to be methodical in your approach. 
Is your neighbours the same or better ?  Is your the same all over or in specific rooms or elevations ? Through wall extractor fans and trickle vents do let some noise in.

If temps are lower in the kitchen & hall check the heating system first . Mould in the ensuite is often poor ventilation ,check your extractor has a 15 - 30 min timer over run and after a shower the door should be closed .

A clip on thermal camera is no substitute for a thermal survey but they are a useful tool to give an indication of where to look.

Ta

My neighbour's said they haven't got any issues they are in the same house model. It's the same all over, every room has at least 2 large windows, there are extractors in the en suite, ground WC and kitchen. They have a constant overrun but speed up with the light is on however that's definitely not the source as there isn't any noise in the WC, it's the only room with no windows or an external wall. The sound is directional and does sound like it's coming through the windows.

Up in the loft any outside noise is as if you're outside, could the loft be leaking the noise down through the walls?

The heating in the kitchen and hall is working fine, I've bled the radiators twice and they get very hot. Worth noting there is only one radiator in the kitchen, I have attached the floorplan of the kitchen & hall.

Yeah I agree, I want to avoid spending the £400 if I can, I will if Bovis don't budge though.

Maxell

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:27:21 am »
It sounds like you believe insulation is missing from the cavity.  Allow the house to heat up for a few hours then check the temperature of internal & external walls . In the same room they should normally be within a few degrees. Also check after the heating has gone off for the temperature drop values. As I said before any difference is just an indication of where to look and a substitute for a full survey .

I would push the builder to come back and adjust the windows and doors first.

BrandonDan

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 05:47:18 pm »
It sounds like you believe insulation is missing from the cavity.  Allow the house to heat up for a few hours then check the temp of internal & external walls . In the same room they should normally be within a few degrees. Also check after the heating has gone off for the temp drop values. As I said before any difference is just an indication of where to look and a substitute for a full survey .

I would push the builder to come back and adjust the windows and doors first .

I haven't got the thermal camera anymore I only borrowed it for a few hours, however I think the insulation is OK, more the windows and doors aren't sealed properly.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:14:14 am »
OK first thing is the doors and windows can be adjusted to close tighter using the cams on the multi locking points.
If you have an Allen key you could probably have a go at this yourself.

Bovis Homes have one of the worst reputations for build quality and customer care of plc housebuilders.
Considering all the adverse information online from 2015 I am surprised anyone buys a Bovis new home.
That said, all new home buyers are wise to have their new homes professionally snagged and inspected before they legally complete. Some of these firms also offer thermal imaging surveys etc.

You now need an air leakage test and a thermal survey to get proof to show Bovis where the heat is leaking out/cold air is getting in. Not every new home gets an air tightness test and even those that do are often fiddled on the day to pass!
http://www.new-home-blog.co.uk/house-builders-are-cheating-new-home-air-leakage-testing

I can recommend Paul Buckingham at https://www.sustainablelifestyles.co.uk/  for the independent testing.

Regarding outside noise,  perhaps window and door adjustment may help this too.

Mould in the en-suite is due to cold spots and high humidity causing condensation. It sounds like you have passive ventilation extractors with increased extraction when the light is turned on.  In this case, the humidity must be very high and the cold spots quite cold.  Be sure to open a window also for a few minutes for ventilation. Hot moist air out, cold dry air in.

If Bovis need to do any remedial work, you will discover why they have a bad reputation!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

BrandonDan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:46:00 am »
OK first thing is the doors and windows can be adjusted to close tighter using the cams on the multi locking points.
If you have an Allen key you could probably have a go at this yourself.

Bovis Homes have one of the worst reputations for build quality and customer care of plc housebuilders.
Considering all the adverse information online from 2015 I am surprised anyone buys a Bovis new home.
That said, all new home buyers are wise to have their new homes professionally snagged and inspected before they legally complete. Some of these firms also offer thermal imaging surveys etc.

You now need an air leakage test and a thermal survey to get proof to show Bovis where the heat is leaking out/cold air is getting in. Not every new home gets an air tightness test and even those that do are often fiddled on the day to pass!
http://www.new-home-blog.co.uk/house-builders-are-cheating-new-home-air-leakage-testing

I can recommend Paul Buckingham at https://www.sustainablelifestyles.co.uk/  for the independent testing.

Regarding outside noise,  perhaps window and door adjustment may help this too.

Mould in the en-suite is due to cold spots and high humidity causing condensation. It sounds like you have passive ventilation extractors with increased extraction when the light is turned on.  In this case, the humidity must be very high and the cold spots quite cold.  Be sure to open a window also for a few minutes for ventilation. Hot moist air out, cold dry air in.

If Bovis need to do any remedial work, you will discover why they have a bad reputation!

Thank you for your reply New Home Expect.

This was my first house and as I understood they had a new CEO and had turned a different direction - I was told by the sales person, I did slightly rush into this without doing all my research, the houses were going very quickly and mine was the last of my house type available at the time. They were also considerably nicer than the other new builds around my area, but that's my bad.

I will get this booked in and sent over.

I will try and have a go with an Allen key and see if that improves anything. If this doesn't help, do you know what it could be?

I have since always kept the window on night vent and see if this improves anything.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 10:51:40 am »
Unless the wind is blowing through a window vent or it is ice cold outside, the window trickle vents should always be left open, especially in kitchen and bathrooms.

Whilst Greg Fitzgerald may well have turned Bovis Homes around from spiralling into bankruptcy due to the defective new homes they build, it would take 10-20years for a genuine improvement in quality and service.
There is a new "Bovid Victims" Facebook group tells you all your needed to know..
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.