'"> ');

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I've been banging my head against the wall for the last 3 years with the same issue.

One of my biggest struggles is I can't find a Surveyor who is actually familiar with 'microcracking' in new builds to write a sensible report - any recommendations are very welcome!!!

My suggestions are check your contract - was it a design and build is there a quality clause in there? If you have house insurance you may have legal protection insurance on it or pay for a solicitor to check it over for you. Just be careful if they are finishing the development they are not going to wind up the company.

Who is your Structural Warranty with? Have a check of the wording and see if it is covered if it is NHBC it may have a design and quality clause. If it like ours and a small company it is not worth the paper it is written on.....
Hi: we're buying a new home and would appreciate your thoughts on this brickwork.

We're already exchanged and this wall has supposedly already passed NHBC inspection.

To me it is wavy with one row clearly having more mortar below than above, with a couple of bricks being very poorly aligned.

Sorry for the picture quality, but we can't get any closer.

My partner isn't as bothered by it as me, so let me know if my expectations are too high!

Thank you for your help,

-Danny
Snagging and defects / Re: Issue in unfinished new build
« Last Post by Admin on March 19, 2024, 01:30:38 pm »
Get the house professionally snagged and inspected BEFORE you legally complete and do not legally complete until you have checked yourself that all issues have been addressed.
You have a right to have the home inspected before you are required to legally complete.

It would be useful for others to know who the housebuilder is.

Regarding the mould. This can and should be wiped off with a bleach solution and can be repainted over with undercoat before the wall paint is applied over it.  I suspect the house is still drying out and the heating has not been on with windows and window vents open.

Write to the housebuilder with a list of what you are not happy with so far.
None of it seems unreasonable and remember, anything you see now and not sorted will haunt and annoy you everyday once you have moved in.

Snagging and defects / Issue in unfinished new build
« Last Post by MG7410 on March 19, 2024, 09:36:21 am »
We are in the process of buying a new build from a small private developer.
We were able to view the property yesterday and I came away feeling really disappointed. It's far from finished, and my husband feels we should allow them time to finish and then address any concerns, but I can't help feel that we should be sorting these things out now.

Issues are-
1. Toilet has been positioned too close to a wall that has a heated towel rail on it.
2. Landing light has been repositioned several times, each time leaving holes in the ceiling. I know these can be patched, but I'm worried it won't ever look neat.
3. Kitchen has just been fitted though is currently covered over pending painting the walls. I was able to lift the edge and take a look at the hob. It's been positioned off centre to the extractor fan above.
4. The splashback is also off centre (albeit 3-4mm, but still). This is due to an electrical socket being positioned too close to the area. You can clearly see they've attempted to move the socket as there's plaster been gouged out from around it, leaving a great big hole, and all the debris is on my new worktop under the so-called protective cover.
5. There is some serious mould in the house, especially the kitchen where it is thick and furry. Could also see some in the living room but they did have a very small electric heater in there, and to be honest, I couldn't feel any warmth coming from it.

My concerns is that they will try and palm me off by saying it's normal in a new build, but both me and my husband have both separately bought new builds in the past and never had a problem with mould. I'm also worried that it'll just be wiped off and painted, but will cause us problems in the future.
I feel that some of these issues are sloppy errors, and maybe they'll be OK in the end, but it concerns me that these are errors that we can see - what about the ones we can't.
Snagging and defects / Re: DPC and air bricks below the ground level
« Last Post by ls523 on March 18, 2024, 10:58:10 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply. You said that "DPC below the bi-fold doors is normal. It should be 150mm above finished ground level at either side of the door." Does it mean that DPC at either side of the doors doesn't need to be at the same level as below the bi-fold doors? I've been told by the developer that "a bridge of the DPC should be avoided", which is why they had the DPC below the bi-fold doors and below the ground level at both sides of the doors. I am very confused, as obviously the DPC needs to go below the bi-fold doors, which require a level threshold hence the ground level is now above the DPC. If the DPC goes straight from one side of the wall through the bottom edge of the doors to the other side, how could it be 150mm above ground level? Or is it that the DPC could be 150mm above the ground level at either side, go around the bottom of the doors, and then go back up to the other side 150mm above the ground level?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zj-kl5OwKw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zj-kl5OwKw</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKvUVyaUZk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKvUVyaUZk</a>

Can a mod edit and stick the links in the initial post pretty please
I have been fighting with the developer for over two years now being patient and giving them the benefit of the doubt.
There are still multiple snags but the biggest ones are squeaky/bouncy floors and missing insulation.
Developer is now refusing to fix both after promising to fix the issues for 2 years.
Is there anything I can do at this point?
It's a small developer (only 10 houses) based in Exeter
Snagging and defects / Re: DPC and air bricks below the ground level
« Last Post by New Home Expert on March 14, 2024, 10:38:20 am »
DPC below the bi-fold doors is normal. It should be 150mm above finished ground level at either side of the door. Clearly this is not the case.
It would appear the NHBC warranty inspector and the Building Control final inspector are not doing their job.

Not only does the NHBC warranty standards state the dpc should be (at least) 150mm above the finished ground level but this is also contained in the building regulations. The crucial words being "should be" which is not "must be"

The developers solution" is a bodge job that is easier and cheaper for them.
WHO IS THE BUILDER/DEVELOPER?
It may (or may not) solve the problem. But as you clearly state, the NHBC standards suggest what can be done in this instance and the solution is not that.

My opinion is any water in the 150mm trench" will drain away under the PCC beam and block floor which will probably cause dampness in the house at some point.

This same issue is posted time and time again over the last ten years and it appears that those working on housebuilding sites still even now have no clue as to how to sort their levels out properly to avoid this.

As for the house value, it is a new build and they tend to devalue over the first few years anyway. they are also less desirable to buyers for many reasons. A good buyers survey should highlight this clear defect and any offer you do get may be reduced because of it.

Keep going with the complaining and you could use the New Homes Ombudsman Service in about 6-9 months once you have worked you way through the housebuilder's customer complaints service procedures and jumped through all the NHOS hoops.

Snagging and defects / DPC and air bricks below the ground level
« Last Post by ls523 on March 09, 2024, 02:54:00 pm »
We've recently moved into a new-build (completed in May 2023) and been made aware of an issue with the DPC and the air bricks to the rear of the house (with bi-fold doors opening to a patio). Both DPC (above the air bricks) and air bricks are below the ground level and covered by gravel (see image attached).

We talked to the developer who said that they are below the ground level because the patio has to have a level threshold. To allow sufficient ventilation, the developer suggested to cut back the patio 150mm from the rear house wall on both sides of the bi-fold doors, dig out below the air bricks and then fill the bottom of the trench with gravel so that the top of the air bricks will be 150mm above the gravel.

I am not happy with the proposal by the developer, because 1) I am not sure if 150mm wide trench is sufficient, as NHBC Technical Guidance says "air bricks below general ground level are acceptable with continuous strip of lowered ground extending at least 600mm away from front of air brick(s)". and 2) The proposal didn't solve the issue that the DPC below the bifold doors are still below ground level. The Building Regulations about a level threshold and the DPC being 150mm above ground level seem to contradict with each other.

Could anyone advise what is the best solution to fix this issue and whether it would impact the value of the house?

(On a related note, the house passed Building Control during construction. I emailed Building Control, who basically admitted that they didn't check air bricks at all. I wonder if I could do anything about it).

All suggestions are highly appreciated. Many thanks!

Yes no building regulations for floor tiles. But there are NHBC warranty standards.
Workmanship and quality are, unfortunately, subjective. But the NHBC tolerances do put a figure on what is deemed unacceptable.

They do make reference to the NHBC warranty but only in so much as to the registration of the house with NHBC and that the buyer must pursue appropriate claims for defects with the NHBC and not the seller.
You may have a case against your solicitor for not highlighting this. It is a big red flag warning that Elan homes appear to be not interested in dealing with defects in the poor quality homes they build and sell.

Regarding the SAR and I'm not an expert but have applied for SARs myself, there are very few reasons that an organisation can legally withhold information with you name on. So again Elan are being difficult  for no reason as the ICO will after around a year, compel them to comply in every respect.
You can always write the the NHBC and request a SAR from them. Might be interesting.

What Elan Homes are prepared to give you is sales and handover paperwork.  You have a legal right for copies of all Building Regulation inspections carried out during the construction of your new home, whether your name is on them or not. These may have been done by the NHBC.

If nothing else, I do hope your post and experience acts as a big red flag warning for others even considering buying a new home from Elan Homes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10