'"> ');

Author Topic: Persimmon did not read my meters  (Read 18083 times)

Taffy

Persimmon did not read my meters
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:13:50 am »
We bought a house from Persimmon Homes in 2005.
When we moved in we were given a meter reading from Persimmon for the gas and electricity meters which had been taken by Scottish Power and no one else.
As we had set up a standing order with Scottish Power we assumed this was for both utilities.

In 2009 we received a letter from e.on stating that we owed them £4,500 for the last 4 years supply as the builder had failed to notify them when we completed.
We have argued this case and not seemed to have got anywhere.
We reluctantly agreed to pay off this debt monthly but feel that now enough is enough!
What are Persimmon's and E.on's responsibilities in this and can they be held responsible?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Philofacts

• Global Moderator
  • New Home Expert
    • Brand New Homes
Re: Persimmon did not read my meters
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:26:40 am »
Persimmon's handover procedure includes a handover certificate.
This gives a record of the keys and records the meter readings on completion day (the day you become owners) of Gas, Water and Electricity.
Persimmon then send these readings to the relevant suppliers (who ever they are in the local area) and you become a customer from that day onwards.

You should have checked your meters for your own benefit on the day you moved in, as anyone should do when they move home - not just to a new one.
Furthermore it is inconceivable that you were given any keys without signing the Handover Certificate, which would have contained meter readings for you to check, or no readings.
If it is the latter, you may have some grounds for approaching Persimmon as they, as well as you, have been negligent.
The procedure is in place to prevent issues just like this. All house builders read the meters on handover day and they would/should never rely on a supplier reading.

Given that you have known about this since 2009, I think it may be a bit late to do anything with either Persimmon or e.on.
However, you may like to write to Persimmon CEO Mike Farley, and explain that their procedures were not followed and suggest you go 50-50 with the amount(s) outstanding.
Make a Donation - If you found the information and advice helpful.
The premier information website for the UK new home buyer.

The Prophet

• Global Moderator
  • Financial & Economics commentator
Re: Persimmon did not read my meters
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:29:11 am »
Surely you would have noticed that your bill was for just one utility and only one meter was being read?
Even if you paid by standing order you would still have received a bill.
I think you have run up this bill and it is your responsibility to pay it, not Persimmon thsi time.