'"> ');

Author Topic: New build brickwork  (Read 20033 times)

Liam P

New build brickwork
« on: June 29, 2023, 09:43:26 pm »
I’ve recently purchased and exchanged contracts on my new build home before the build took place and now the brickwork is complete me and my partner are not happy with the visible outcome.

I’m looking for opinions/ professional opinions who can help me determine if and where there are issues with my brickwork. To us it’s just a mess, perp joints ranging from 35 mm to 5 mm and not lining up with the following rows. Wonky bricks. Wavey muck lines across the whole house.

I’ve yet to go to the house and check for plumb and all the structural side of things but visibly in my opinion it’s poor/unacceptable and upon complaining to the project manager I’ve been pushed aside and nothing is 'wrong' with it.
It’s a Persimmon home🤦🏻‍♂️Appreciate all advice and will attach some photos I’ve taken from outside the site gates.

I could be wrong ,which is why I’m seeking advice and opinions but the majority of people I’ve spoke to friends and workers on site (I'm a chippy) site agents agree with me that it’s to a poor standard and unacceptable.

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: New build brickwork
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 11:12:28 am »
Being in the building industry and yet buying a Persimmon new home?
Didn't you read online what they are like, so bad they had to get an independent review  carried out which was damning.

To answer your question, yes the brickwork looks bad and yes if you have 35mm perp joints this is unacceptable.
But what can you do now? You have Exchanged and you either lose your 10% deposit or you buy this house.
Persimmon can tart it up a bit, cleaning the mess with brick acid, but this could mean your mortar is weakened and it falls out over the next 2 years. Try getting that sorted under the warranty!

Worse of all, your home is being built by a site manager that thinks this is acceptable "nothing wrong"

All you can do is write a letter to the Managing Director at Persimmon's regional office (or get your solicitor to write it - I hope you haven't also used a solicitor recommended by Persimmon!)  informing them in no uncertain terms, you will not be legally completing on this house until you are 100% happy with the brickwork, that is, it is built to a reasonable standard.

Please expect more horrors when you see inside your "finished home" for the first time.
Please do get this house professional snagged and inspected before you legally complete!

Assuming you reserved after 4 October 2022, you can make use of the New Homes Ombudsman Service which will force Persimmon to sort out all the defects.  You must complain to the NHOS before the end of the 2-year period after you legally complete.  If you do, there are a lot of stages to get through before they will accept a complaint. 

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.