'"> ');

Author Topic: My 2012 house is falling down!  (Read 10634 times)

Woodsywoo

My 2012 house is falling down!
« on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:23 am »
Bought my newly built house in 2012. It's a part buy.
Housing association have given permission for me to deal with NHBC directly.
The back right corner of my house literally looks as if it is going to fall down.

We first made out the claim in about a year ago. So many cracks! Inside and out.
We've had surveyors, engineers, so I'll samples.
Yesterday they did the drainage survey. Next week we're getting 2 x 12m holes dug so they can monitor movement for 6-12 months. Why? I just want to move. I'm watching dream homes come and go and I'm stuck with a useless pile of rubbish!
Photos are the tip of the iceberg. They're now appearing the the back and all over the inside.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: My 2012 house is falling down!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 12:08:05 pm »
Clearly this is a serious structural issue and your home will require extensive works to repair.
You made a claim under your NHBC warranty in 2020, which is in year 9 of your 10-year structural warranty.

I can see no point whatsoever in digging holes and monitoring the movement of the structure of =your home.

From just the one photo you posted it is clear to me that you have either heave, or more likely subsidence.
The cause could be due to the proximity of a tree, poor ground conditions, leaking water mains or drainage pipes (perhaps not even from your property) 

So the NHBC should excavate to discover what the cause is and then a structural engineer can design what needs to be done, usually underpinning the failed foundations, after which the brickwork can be repaired.

You should be aware that your home now had a "history of subsidence" and as such you will have to inform any potential buyer and your insurance company who will no doubt drastically increase the subsidence excess and perhaps the cost of buildings premium too!

Which builder built this house?
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector