Author Topic: LABC WARRANTY  (Read 6436 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
I have read some information regarding the NHBC warranty on here but can't find anything about the LABC warranty we have got.  I am trying to pursue a claim with them and gave them all the details.  They then wrote to the builder for details of the technical specification used.  They then said that as the builder has met their technical manual we have not got any claim.  They didn't even speak with us let alone visit our property.  I have asked them to review this decision.  And am currently waiting the outcome.  Any suggestions as to how to deal with this issue?


  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 455
  • Country: england
  • New Home Expert
    • Brand New Homes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:16:44 am »
When trying to get defects rectified, you should go through a proper procedure.
First and foremost you MUST write to the house builder informing them of the defects and what you want done not the warranty provider.  The warranty is really only worthwhile if the house builder refuses to complete the remedial works or does not do so satisfactorily.

All warranties only cover defects arising from a failure by the house builder to adhere to the warranty provider's standards with regard to workmanship and/or materials. In practice, most of the better house builders, will, within reason, attend to any defect reported to them in writing during the first two years, rather than fighting it by claiming they have met warranty minimum standards.

Your warranty provider must inspect your defects and make an assessment as to whether the house builder has met the standards required. To say is not to do.  Just because the correct details are on the drawings does not mean that they will be built or built properly in every home the builder completes.

Your house builder should visit you and inspect your problems. The LABC should also send an inspector to look at your defects and make a report. If both then claim that minimum standards have been met then I am afraid there is little you can do other than get and independent expert or surveyor to make a report and take legal action if you believe it is justified.

There is the Consumer Code for Home Builders Adjudication Scheme.
You need to read the Consumer Code to check if your house builder has breached any of the requirements.
Make a Donation - If you found the information and advice helpful.
The premier information website for the UK new home buyer.