'"> ');

Author Topic: LABC warranty  (Read 10673 times)

michaelmge

LABC warranty
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:19:22 pm »
It has been a few years since I was on this site talking about problems with my Bloor home but here I am again 5 years in and the build continues to offer up problems.
Both a structural and RICS report have highlighted many problems with the roof and I am well into the structural claims period. What I am trying to understand is why they require in their T&C’s, that you give them permission to use and send any information you give them onto whoever they see fit.

Whilst I can understand it during the builder's defect period, I am struggling to understand why they do this during the structural period, when the claim is with them? I am assuming that if you withhold permission then your claim will not be processed. I am aware of the 6-year ruling but am annoyed that all of the information was passed to Bloor, especially as Bloor are quoting the LABC as saying there are no build defects. LABC agreed to all of the structural surveyors report but only one in the roof covering where the double lap tiles have been cut incorrectly on the valley and are in various stages of lifting.
I just wonder what the arrangements are between the two companies when one is quoting the other.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: LABC warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 01:37:07 pm »
Classic bat and ball with you in the middle.
It matters little what Bloor forward to LABC and vice-versa as long as it results in your home being rectified.

It is disgraceful that after FIVE YEARS, you are still having to chase  Bloor/LABC to get your defective home finally sorted out.
This alone speaks volumes about exactly what is wrong with this scandalous industry and why the government needs to step in and finally set up the statutory, fully independent New Homes Ombudsman it announced as long ago as 1st October 2018!

Tell LABC if it is not resolved in the next 28 days you will; be complaining to the financial Ombudsman services as the warranty us a financial product and insurance policy.  This alone may mean they at least outline properly, what they will and wont be doing.

You should also write to your local MP and Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick at the MHCLG.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

michaelmge

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:20:38 pm »
Thank you for your advice and understanding.
I have already decided to write to the 2 mentioned MPs, especially as the government is so dependent on new builds for the housing market and, as we know, the surveys with new owners, are carried out to early in the ownership cycle.

LABC have confirmed that if you do not agree to their T&C'c the claim will not be progressed. They also admitted that when they received my claim, it was immediately sent to Bloor Homes, without any investigation having been carried out. To have my data passed around so freely, without assessing the need and to basically assist the developer in making conclusions. It also aids them in preparing to meet any claim that I may wish to make through the legal system. Of course despite the many problems highlighted with the roof, they are all treated individually and for each one I am liable for the first £1,100.
And of course the warranty position is that if there is no water ingress then there is nothing wrong. Interestingly not one item is acknowledged as being a breach of their technical manual and indeed it was suggested that one was a manufacturer requirement, when it is in BS 5250!

I think you are correct about bat and ball, as the certainly appear to have a close relationship.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:14:05 am »
Here's the rub.  LABC, which is nothing at all to do with any Local Authority, although LABC claim to "Work in partnership with local authority building control"  (all warranty providers can say this and its not "all under one roof"
The other warranty provider is Premier Guarantee warranty are virtually the same.
MD Insurance Services who are scheme administrators for both LABC and Premier Guarantee warranty, are also the Secretariat for the Consumer Code for Home Builders. MD Insurance Services employ 'Risk Management Surveyors' "work within both brands of the company"

It is my opinion both these warranties have been set up so builders that are exclude or choose not to use NHBC have a means of providing a warranty to satisfy mortgage lenders.

As you know both have a huge excess £1.100 which applies to each different aspect of the claim. I have come across buyers with defective lintels being told each lintel replacement is a separate claim and excess applies to each. 
NHBC on the other hand have a minimum claim value which is around £1,600 but will cover every part of a claim.

I do think it is simply a case of LABC batting away your claim back to Bloor Homes in the hope Bloor will act and make it go away. As you will realise,  the value of a statutory New Homes Ombudsman in exactly this situation to new homebuyers, would have meant both acted quite differently., helping rather than hindering resolution.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

michaelmge

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 05:21:59 pm »
So I have sent my thoughts to the two MPs but do not have great expectations from them.
Despite agreeing LABC warranty T&C's, I have also complained to MD Insurance about the use of my data and the need for them to have involved Bloor Homes during the structural claims period. LABC have told me that they have not received information about the build from Bloor but I do not know enough about the information sharing, such as specifications.

Regarding site operatives, building control and risk surveyor what chance is there of the roof being correct when they fail to see that the DPC is wrong! Of course there are no allowable tolerances listed in chapter 1 of the LABC warranty manual, surely meaning that the roof MUST be built to specification and regulations. I was shocked by how much the RICS found but not one problem has been listed as a defect against their technical manual, presumably to protect Bloor.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 10:37:43 am »
Whether it is a defect against a requirement in a technical manual or building regulation is not relevant.
If it is wrong it is clearly wrong. There is no argument and no excuse for doing nothing about what is an obvious defect to 99.9% of the population.