'"> ');

Author Topic: Barwood homes  (Read 54957 times)

dougie123

Re: Barwood homes
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 09:21:01 am »
Hi, Great website btw.  [Thanks... Admin}
Can anyone that has posted here kindly give me the location of the developments referred to so I can look up the detail on the planning process etc. Reason being we have Barwood Homes with permission to build 40 homes at the back of our land in Quainton.

They have submitted their housing plan and the detail couldn't be further from the requirements laid down by the inspector during the appeal process which we unfortunately obviously lost. Main issue being they didn't submit a drainage proposal and this is key issue, surprise!
We have until Monday to respond, any detail would be appreciated.

Thanks

Unhappy

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:34 am »
The Old Stour. Barwood did not adhere to drainage as in planning. Site flooded with run off from fields. They did address the problem AFTER the event.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 10:03:31 am »
From what I have seen Barwood Homes may well build the houses but it may prove difficult to sell them!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

pugman

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 04:58:30 pm »
Coming back with an update - have fairly serious water ingress problems with a window.

Barwood's response so far has been prompt but relatively disappointing, first two visits to apply mastic everywhere (poorly, had to ask the guy to re-apply the second time) and the next visit is to seal the brickwork arches above the windows.

They have dealt with minor issues (e.g. fixings) very well.

Let's see what happens.

Jodietomo

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:51 pm »
STAY AWAY from this developer!
We were one of the many unlucky ones to purchase a property from this unprofessional developer.
We have endured 18 months of lies, stress and anguish trying to remitted the wealth of serious that have come with our new home.  The battle continues, so I would advise anyone contemplating buying their dream home from Barwood.... walk away and save yourself the heartache.
Marketing themselves as striving for quality and attention to detail.
Couldn't be further from the truth. They have used poor quality contractors, cut corners and lie continuously.
What should have been our dream home has been and continues to be a living nightmare!

Major issues with brickwork, mortar, electrics, plumbing and structural issues with roof.
Barwood will take your money and run away laughing.
Disgraceful company that ruin peoples' lives without any accountability or regulation.

pugman

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 06:50:53 pm »
Starting to have some very serious, frustrating issues.

Discard all my previous comments.

pugman

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2022, 07:40:12 pm »
Over the last month or so steps on my stair started to give way. As my home is not out of Barwood warranty I have to go through BLP.

Whilst BLP are helpful and responsive, they were not sure if this would be covered unless I was able to examine the staircase.  As it's an internal staircase I had to either remove the utility drywall or cloakroom tiles and drywall to get access. I did this over the weekend and the results are interesting.

The staircase has definitely not been correctly fitted. The string on one wall is not fixed which explains why it moves every time someone goes up the stairs. It almost looks like the staircase was taken from another house and "retrofitted" into this one. I will get some pictures tomorrow.

Unbelievable....

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2022, 05:15:53 am »
BLP warranty should not be asking you to demolish part of your own house to investigate.
They should be sending an inspector and use a borescope camera to investigate.
Why I always advise "No NHBC - don't buy"

You may like to ask Barwood Homes why they use BLP warranty and not NHBC?

It is good practice to fix the string to the adjacent wall but the lack of fixings may not be the reason.
The staircase could have got wet and the glue weakened.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

pugman

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2022, 10:11:19 am »
BLP warranty should not be asking you to demolish part of your own house to investigate.
They should be sending an inspector and use a borescope camera to investigate.
Why I always advise "No NHBC - don't buy"

You may like to ask Barwood Homes why they use BLP warranty and not NHBC?

It is good practice to fix the string to the adjacent wall but the lack of fixings may not be the reason.
The staircase could have got wet and the glue weakened.

Thank you -

BLP referred me to a loss adjuster who, despite me having got a professional quote (though they hadn't looked under the stairs at this point, only assessed from the sunken steps), said that they were not sure this would be covered without more evidence and the loss adjuster recommended I open up access to the void.

pugman

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 02:37:35 pm »

Fairly sure this is wrong and shouldn't be like that.

This is definitely wrong - the step should be in the recess. If I remove the wedge, the step falls down  :o ;D

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2022, 12:04:48 pm »
What an absolute lash up.  Without question done by "wood butchers"
Whilst a full width batten could be glued and screwed to the string for the kite winder, it really needs to be a new staircase in my opinion.

Loss adjuster aka "let us see if we can restrict the amount of the claim by as much as possible.

If it was my home I would write to BLP and say that unless they agree to replace the staircase you will send the photos to all national newspapers and inform them that BLP warranty think this isnt a justifiable claim and have been fobbing me off for X months.

Also you realluy should be claiming using the Financial Ombudsman Services. Tell BLP this too!

Good luck

For everyone else:
NO NHBC WARRANTY - NO SALE! 
WALK AWAY!

pugman

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 07:09:38 pm »
Thanks - very good info.

The staircase has been condemned, waiting for a response from BLP.

pugman

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2022, 02:09:39 pm »
Haven't been having much luck with the loss adjuster - even though the stairs have been condemned, the whole thing will need ripping out and replacing (but also decorating making good), AND the rep saying his 3-year old could do a better job - they are still saying the work seems too big and too costly and don't understand why it can't just be repaired in place.

After numerous exchanges they've finally agreed to have BLP send out a surveyor, hopefully that will get us somewhere.

pugman

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 02:12:06 pm »
BTW - I've had 3 contractors out and all have said this should not be repaired in any case. One actually refused the work as he said its too much effort and he can't be arsed dealing with warranty.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2022, 01:10:05 pm »
There comes a time when the cheapest and quickest solution is replace with new.
Don't bank on BLP being any help with  this though!