'"> ');

Author Topic: New Year celebration - Why? It Is Time To Ban Fireworks.  (Read 15204 times)

Fred

New Year celebration - Why? It Is Time To Ban Fireworks.
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:35:11 am »
At a time of peace and goodwill to all so why let off loud annoying fireworks in your back garden at midnight?

Now I am all for any excuse for a party, but celebrating the "New Year" must be the most ridiculous of excuses. For a start it is just a change of date, from one number to a number, increased by one. Perhaps we are celebrating the fact that the earth has orbited the sun one complete orbit and is now embarking on a new orbit from that point in time. But the facts against this are:
1) It takes 365 and a quarter days to orbit the sun not 365 days and
2) Every day of the year, the earth starts a new orbit from that point in time.

So why was a large area of public Right of Way in London cordoned off to anyone who hasn’t bought one of the 150,000 £10 tickets? Why do residents living in these zones have to wear a wristband to get to their own home?  Why would anyone in their right mind want to hang around from 9.30pm for two and a half hours, in the cold and/or wet to see a 10 minute firework display however spectacular it might be?

The world has surely gone mad. Why is it that every major city in the world tries to out-do each other with regards to their firework display on this one day of the calendar year?

It’s not like it is a New Year in reality, as this is everyone's actual birthday. This marks a new year of existence on this planet. A further year of being alive. We would all agree that this is worthy of celebration. But a change of calendar date?

So why am I woken from my peaceful sleep at 23.55 (yes some people cannot even tell the time!) to the sound of a war zone? This "celebration" lasted a full 30 minutes last night. Who exactly are these idiots that spend £100 or more for their 15 seconds of local mayhem in their back gardens?  Why do they do it?  Do they have the mental age of a child?

I have no answers to these questions. I cannot understand why anyone would want to set fire and explode their money. Mind you they did get a big bang for their buck!  Don't these morons realise that they are permanently alienating their near neighbours.  I will never speak to this particular inconsiderate idiot neighbour again, save only to curse him and perhaps inform him his wife is having an affair!

So Mr Osborne, here’s an idea, why don't you increase the rate of VAT on fireworks to 70%.
Perhaps have Duty on fireworks as you do with fuel and cigarettes. Charity and professional events could be exempted. Then perhaps those of us with a brain, will be able to get a peaceful night’s sleep when the year number next increases by one!