'"> ');

Author Topic: What is the alternative to new or newish builds?  (Read 7678 times)

JCLC

What is the alternative to new or newish builds?
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:18:02 pm »
I have read a bit on this forum and also spoken to a few people who are involved in new build construction as well as those who inhabit a new or newish property. For e.g

A colleague of mine who lives in a 4 bedroom townhouse on a lovely quiet estate, only 10minutes from work is happy renting it, but would not buy it from the landlord even if it was priced below market value. His words being "The house is already showing signs of ageing, I'm happy to renting it but I wouldn't be the owner" House is 10 years old.

Another colleague who had numerous issues with his boiler in the first 3 years as well as some plumbing issues now says that at every window he stands next to, he can notice a definite draught. The house is 7 years old.

I am sure that for every unhappy owner there are some satisfied owners of new/newish houses but the level of unsatisfaction is a cause for concern and even the moderator here says avoid houses built post 2001.

My property was 1998 and even that isn't free from snagging issues!

So what is the alternative?
Surely every generation of houses have their issues?
Older properties will require more maintenance surely! Where do you find the happy medium?

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: What is the alternative to new or newish builds?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:26:52 pm »
Every property at some point will require maintenance.
Older pre 2001 homes are slightly better built, are larger and have front gardens, adopted roads and footpaths and are not so overlooked.

As for problem with older new homes it is up to buyers to get a survey done. In addition at least buyers can see what they are buying which is seldom the case with a first occupation new home.

The happy medium is to get the government to give new homebuyers better rights of redress if they buy a defect new home starting with an independent new homes ombudsman.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector