'"> ');

Author Topic: TV / Home network installation  (Read 12360 times)

Grimbo1982

TV / Home network installation
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:25:21 pm »
I am moving into a new build 4 bedroom detached house that is due to be ready next July.
Currently, the house is at a very early build stage, basically breeze block footprint. I am keen to ensure I have the best possible facilities for TV and also home networking.
I am currently a sky customer although cable is available on the development and am keen to potentially have ethernet ports (thoughts welcome on this please) in all bedrooms and also TV points.
I'm guessing the basic specification from the house builders is not great, probably single TV socket points.  I want to know what my options are in terms of possible extras and also whether the builder will do the things I need in terms of cabling e.g. coax, cat5 or whatever (obviously I will pay the extra for this).
Perhaps it would be better to get a contractor to do it?
If so, could a contractor do it before the house if mine?
To be honest this is a bit of a minefield and any advice would be most welcome as I want to get it right as we will be in this house for many years to come. I hope this is posted in the right place!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: TV / Home network installation
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:26 am »
In answer to the questions you raise:
Most house builders have a list of "Optional Extras" available.  Whether Cat5 cabling is included would depend ont he house builder.

You would have no chance at all of installing a Cat5 cables or any other deviations to the standard specification until you have at least exchanged contracts.  Even then you would need the house builder to co operate with your contractor(s) which at that stage would be unlikely.  The only common exception is the fitting of carpets which is always done a few days before Legal Completion and after all works have been completed by the house builder.

Not quite sure of the need for ethernet Cat5 network in a home these days either.
Most computers come with WiFi and WiFi is most definitely the future way to go anyway.
You could end up with lots of ethernet ports that you don't need.

TV sockets is another matter.  As far as I am concerned, you can never have "too many" but......... you may need to use a signal booster (from Maplins) if you have more than three.  The wiring can be installed at a relatively minor cost and must be done as the house is built.

I would suggest you speak to the site manager about the  options available to you.
It is always going to be better for the site manager (and housebuilder) to give the customer exactly what they want and it always seems strange that most go out of their way to do the exact opposite throughout the process!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

Grimbo1982

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:56:30 am »
Thank you very much for the information.
The house builder is a local company so I may approach them about getting another company to do the TV wiring as I know this hifi firm does do work for local house building companies.
I guess if the builder won't let me do anything with anyone else before exchange, I'll have to pay them to do it all.
I will definitely speak to the site manager about the options.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:30 pm »
You will have more chance with a smaller housebuilder.
Even if you don't go ahead and buy, he will have a house with a higher specification to sell at relatively little extra cost to him.

Read the information on Optional Extras here.
You would be well-advised to get the house professionally and independently snagged and inspected before legally completing too.  
I only recommend Martyn Maxwell at www.brickkickers.co.uk  
See also the Top 20 mistakes new home buyers make here.

And when you have done that, please Make a Donation
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.