'"> ');

Author Topic: Taylor Wimpey New Build - Ethernet Cabling  (Read 24318 times)

TalentedSnail

Taylor Wimpey New Build - Ethernet Cabling
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:46 pm »
I have bought a new build Taylor Wimpey home, which is due for completion early next year. At this time, it is only a timber frame, awaiting the roof and windows to be installed.

I requested Taylor Wimpey to install Ethernet cable throughout the house, as I want to have as much off of the Wifi as possible. I was advised that this isn't an option available, although the site manager did state it was simple to do but Taylor Wimpey won't allow it.

Has anyone ever had this done during build? It would be far more difficult to do once the house is complete and I don't really want to make a mess when I move in.

Any suggestions?

anthyboy

Re: Taylor Wimpey New Build - Ethernet Cabling
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:03:40 pm »
Hi,

They are able to do whatever you ask for if you pay for it and it fits in with the build stage. Sounds to me like he is fobbing you off as he probably can't be bothered or wants to make extra money of you when the house is finished and its more expensive to be done!

Not sure why you need Ethernet cables everywhere though? As Wifi should be use able throughout your house, so long as you use fibre with unlimited data at a good speed. This should be enough for all your family's needs.

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:43:31 am »
First of all, are you sure your home isn't due to be finished until next year?

As it is timber frame and about to be roofed, it is almost certain to be required for Taylor Wimpey's financial year-end figures with a legal completion on or before 23rd December 2016.
Nevertheless, there should be plenty of time to construct your home buy you should move in no later than the end of November. If completion is any later, it means your home will be rushed for Taylor Wimpey's figures and will be full of defects. 
In any event, you should have your home independently and professionally snagged and inspected.
I suggest you contact Tim Fee at Snagging Inspections.co.uk 07768 900200

You might like to learn a bit more about timber frame construction too!
Good for builders - bad for new home buyers!

Regarding the Ethernet CAT4 cables, I would suggest the site manager hooks you up with the site electrician and you deal with him directly.  However, whilst Ethernet does have some advantages over WiFi, I also think that modern WiFi routers would provide for most residential needs.

What you may not know (and should have been told) is that you wont have any choice when it comes to broadband supplier.
Taylor Wimpey have set up an deal with broadband suppliers and the speeds achievable are limited to their small network. You also have no choice but to pay them whatever they decide to charge!  Augusta Park is a Taylor Wimpey development that has had broadband problems..
There,  IFNL are a subsidiary of Brookfield Utilities, a company that provides telecom, gas and power services. IFNL are a subsidiary of Brookfield Utilities, a company that provides telecom, gas and power services. SeeTheLight are also owned by Brookfield Utilities and are a service provider that offers telephone and broadband services over IFNL's network
SeeTheLight are also owned by Brookfield Utilities and are a service provider that offers telephone and broadband services over IFNL’s network. Click on the link above and see how this could also affect you!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

TalentedSnail

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:38:22 am »
Hi,

They are able to do whatever you ask for if you pay for it and it fits in with the build stage. Sounds to me like he is fobbing you off as he probably can't be bothered or wants to make extra money of you when the house is finished and its more expensive to be done!

Not sure why you need Ethernet cables everywhere though? As Wifi should be use able throughout your house, so long as you use fibre with unlimited data at a good speed. This should be enough for all your family's needs.

Hello. I will certainly ask again in that case. There are several reasons I need Ethernet:

I have a Server Infrastructure that runs my home business - this enclosure may not necessarily be next to the hub, as it needs to be in the coolest place of the house (and I have 3 floors to choose from). I also have several NAS units, which total over 100TB of storage. Both of these devices have 2 and 4 ethernet ports respectively for Link Aggregation and Failover Support - no Wifi support. I do a lot of media work, such as video editing, and the source data is streamed on Ethernet to the workstation, rather than using direct attached storage (as I have too much data that can be stored inside a PC these days) - because of this, Wifi cannot keep up with the demand.

As good as Wifi is getting, the more devices you put on it, the weaker it gets. Everything that can be cabled, should always be cabled. Wifi should only be used for devices that cannot be cabled. This is getting more important these days, as houses are moving into this smart technology arena. For me, I don't want Ethernet just for the fun of it - I actually need it.

TalentedSnail

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 07:58:31 am »
First of all, are you sure your home isn't due to be finished until next year?

As it is timber frame and about to be roofed, it is almost certain to be required for Taylor Wimpey's financial year-end figures with a legal completion on or before 23rd December 2016.
Nevertheless, there should be plenty of time to construct your home buy you should move in no later than the end of November. If completion is any later, it means your home will be rushed for Taylor Wimpey's figures and will be full of defects. 
In any event, you should have your home independently and professionally snagged and inspected.
I suggest you contact Tim Fee at Snagging Inspections.co.uk 07768 900200

You might like to learn a bit more about timber frame construction too!
Good for builders - bad for new home buyers!

Regarding the Ethernet CAT4 cables, I would suggest the site manager hooks you up with the site electrician and you deal with him directly.  However, whilst Ethernet does have some advantages over WiFi, I also think that modern WiFi routers would provide for most residential needs.

What you may not know (and should have been told) is that you wont have any choice when it comes to broadband supplier.
Taylor Wimpey have set up an deal with broadband suppliers and the speeds achievable are limited to their small network. You also have no choice but to pay them whatever they decide to charge!  Augusta Park is a Taylor Wimpey development that has had broadband problems..
There,  IFNL are a subsidiary of Brookfield Utilities, a company that provides telecom, gas and power services. IFNL are a subsidiary of Brookfield Utilities, a company that provides telecom, gas and power services. SeeTheLight are also owned by Brookfield Utilities and are a service provider that offers telephone and broadband services over IFNL's network
SeeTheLight are also owned by Brookfield Utilities and are a service provider that offers telephone and broadband services over IFNL’s network. Click on the link above and see how this could also affect you!

In terms of the completion window, it does seem correct. This is a terraced block of 4 Townhouses, with a Coach House behind. The two left mostly Townhouses, are due for completion November/December had only just been released for sale and were sold instantly. Because of this, Taylor Wimpey released the right most plot especially for me, about a month or so ahead of schedule.

What I believe is happening, is the external part of the construction will be completed at the same time, but the internals on my house will be delayed whilst they finish the others. I also can't move in until the Coach House is complete, as I have a garage port under it. Obviously time will tell.

I quite like the idea of a timber frame house - I've of course heard good things and bad things, but so far, the pros outweigh the cons. I also like things new - so I'm rather happy with my purchase - nice area too. Exciting times ahead.

Regarding your comment about Wifi - read my other post above. My usage goes beyond residential needs  :)

The great thing with this development is that Virgin Media comes preinstalled in every home. Very rare that VM cable new areas, but Taylor Wimpey have an agreement. So I'm very happy. Full 200mb Fibre Broadband, which is the same as I currently get now.

anthyboy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 12:44:03 am »
Clearly you have some sort of cyber empire going on, I now understand your need for a multitude of Ethernet ports.

Just be carefully with what they are promising you, when I start hearing statements saying 'especially for me' I start to think sales pitch.

When they say pre-installed with Virgin Media and an agreement in place - when will it go live, when you move in? When the development is finished? Sometime in the future when Virgin come to your area?
I would double check with virgin to confirm!

If they are installing super-fast fibre broadband, why are they not being more accommodating on fitting the Ethernet connections to fully utilise it?

Just remember every person on this site (and other new developments) would have been happy at one point with their purchase and expecting exciting times ahead - a lot will have found this to be the opposite experience.

My advice is record everything and confirm everything in emails. Be smart and fully arm yourself with knowledge that can be gained from this website. Plus take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try to decipher the waffle from the truth they will spin you!

Good luck, hope all goes well.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 04:59:40 am »
I echo AnthyBoy warnings.

It may well be Virgin Media, but the speeds will only be as fast as the adjoining BT network can accommodate.  In addition, it may not (and probably won't all be working to top speeds on the day you move in too.

Clearly fast broadband is essential for you and your work. It would therefore be wise to make availability at the speeds you require a condition of your legal completion. I would suggest you tell your solicitor to advise Taylor Wimpey of this as soon as possible. They have ample time to deal with Virgin to make it happen!

I do hope it all goes well for you, but knowing Taylor Wimpey, especially at that time of their financial year, I think you should prepare yourself for the worst. 

I hope your insurer is aware of all your hi tech kit too!
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

TalentedSnail

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:00:32 pm »
Clearly you have some sort of cyber empire going on, I now understand your need for a multitude of Ethernet ports.

Just be carefully with what they are promising you, when I start hearing statements saying 'especially for me' I start to think sales pitch.

When they say pre-installed with Virgin Media and an agreement in place - when will it go live, when you move in? When the development is finished? Sometime in the future when Virgin come to your area?
I would double check with virgin to confirm!

If they are installing super-fast fibre broadband, why are they not being more accommodating on fitting the Ethernet connections to fully utilise it?

Just remember every person on this site (and other new developments) would have been happy at one point with their purchase and expecting exciting times ahead - a lot will have found this to be the opposite experience.

My advice is record everything and confirm everything in emails. Be smart and fully arm yourself with knowledge that can be gained from this website. Plus take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try to decipher the waffle from the truth they will spin you!

Good luck, hope all goes well.

When I say especially for me, I just mean that these properties were selling within 24-48 hours of being released. So they held one way back, before even being released so that I could buy one.

The Virgin Media engineer is currently cabling every property in the phase.
So it goes live when you move in, or shortly after if there are any delays. The little brown VM box is installed on the front of every property during the build phase, with all of the internal VM cabling preinstalled within the walls, rather than doing it after you move in. By default, these have VM face plates covering them, which they simply swap out with Coaxial plates if you decide to go with VM.

Can't explain why new builds don't come with Ethernet ports as standard. I suppose, right now, most residential homes don't need it. But it's a silly approach in my opinion. Wired will always be better than wireless, and people can't keep putting everything on wireless - it will come to a stage where the performance degrades so much, as it tries to handle all the devices.

I have read a lot on these forums, and it is most useful.
But I must state, that out of the 100,000 new homes built every year, there are not that many who complain in comparison. So yes, when things go wrong, it's horrific. But many are happy with their property, or at least not annoyed enough to come on to a forum to get advice or share their experience. As with most things, when things go right, no one makes a comment. People only usually complain. It makes it very difficult to gauge a true reflection of a situation.

But you are right, I do indeed record everything. I am being as careful as possible.

TalentedSnail

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 06:03:05 pm »
I echo AnthyBoy warnings.

It may well be Virgin Media, but the speeds will only be as fast as the adjoining BT network can accommodate.  In addition, it may not (and probably won't all be working to top speeds on the day you move in too.

Clearly fast broadband is essential for you and your work. It would therefore be wise to make availability at the speeds you require a condition of your legal completion. I would suggest you tell your solicitor to advise Taylor Wimpey of this as soon as possible. They have ample time to deal with Virgin to make it happen!

I do hope it all goes well for you, but knowing Taylor Wimpey, especially at that time of their financial year, I think you should prepare yourself for the worst. 

I hope your insurer is aware of all your hi tech kit too!

I'm not sure if things are different in other areas of the country, but in my new property, as well as my old, VM infrastructure does not touch anything to do with BT. It is all independent. By just walking around the street, you can see VM's cabinets. I can confirm that the full speed is available, as VM use their DOCSIS3 technology. Devon is also on the roadmap for VM's FTTP technology as well. So I have no concerns on that at this time. Good idea to ensure this is part of the contract for legal completion. I do of course have contingency plans though, so all will not be lost if VM wasn't ready.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 07:20:17 am »
I have read a lot on these forums, and it is most useful.
But I must state, that out of the 100,000 new homes built every year, there are not that many who complain in comparison. So yes, when things go wrong, it's horrific. But many are happy with their property, or at least not annoyed enough to come on to a forum to get advice or share their experience. As with most things, when things go right, no one makes a comment. People only usually complain. It makes it very difficult to gauge a true reflection of a situation.

I would agree that people take to forums and social media when they have problems with their defective homes and indifferent housebuilders.
What you must remember is that for every person that "goes public" there are thousands that just complain to the house builder and eventually the builder sorts out the issues, perhaps even requires them to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Even in the industry's own carefully orchestrated Customer Satisfaction Survey, the results show that in most years, around 93% of new home buyers report problems with their new homes to the housebuilder.

What gets publicity are the defects requiring extensive remedial works.
The 1% who actually have their claim "validated" by the NHBC who spent £87million on warranty repairs to 11,000 new homes last year (similar to previous years).

You are wrong to assume that the majority of new homes are without defects and problems or that "the majority are happy"